Dumb Brisket Slicing Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I haven't cooked a full brisket in quite awhile but I have one ready to go for this weekend. My question is this. Lately I've seen a lot of videos of slicing a brisket directly in half to show how juicy it is in the middle. Wouldn't this cause the brisket to dry out quicker? I've always found the grain to ensure slicing the proper way and then began slicing from the end until I have enough to serve.

I seperate the flat and point then start at 1 end, resting in a foil boat before slicing helps keep it moist

I haven't cooked a full brisket in quite awhile but I have one ready to go for this weekend. My question is this. Lately I've seen a lot of videos of slicing a brisket directly in half to show how juicy it is in the middle. Wouldn't this cause the brisket to dry out quicker? I've always found the grain to ensure slicing the proper way and then began slicing from the end until I have enough to serve.
Yes, unless you want the option to serve folks either "lean" or "fatty" brisket I would not slice in half.

Also, I was over thinking slicing for some time trying to perfectly go against the grain on the flat. I saw a good video from Louie Mueller. He explained why you as long as you are, in general, slicing the flat against the grain, because of the nature of the connective tissue, it does not have to be exactly perpendicular. Now, I just start slicing north and south so to speak. Turns out great.

I don't know about it drying out quicker, but it seems you know how to slice a brisket and should keep doing what you know how to do. Don't pay too much attention to "videos"....

I don't know about it drying out quicker, but it seems you know how to slice a brisket and should keep doing what you know how to do. Don't pay too much attention to "videos"....
If you are replying to me, I stumble on videos from a FB page I am on. The slicing part was nothing I was seeking out. But, I realized I was over thinking the important step of slicing properly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky