Dried Venison Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doongie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Wisconsin
I made some dried venison loin today, total about 6-1/2 lbs. Three deer worth of inner and outer loins.

A while back I tried Bearcarver’s dried beef recipe and really liked it, but decided to change from using TQ to Cure#1. I’ve made several batches and am very happy with my recipe now.

Since I am not using TQ, I needed something to mix the small amount of cure with to get better distribution, so I use a dry rub. I like the Beef dry rub sold by Angelo’s BBQ in Ft Worth TX. They were kind enough to give me an idea how much salt is in it, so I use diggindog’s calculator and calculate how much cure and how much rub, then I rub each piece of meat with the proper amount and cure in my fridge for the appropriate amount of time. I choose not to include any sugar, but I think I will get some beef and experiment with that a little bit. I also bought Jeff’s recipes, so I will also experiment to see if I like Jeff’s rub better than what I get from Angelo’s. However, what I did today is what I know works, and gets such good reviews a friend asked me to make some from his deer loins.

I did not get a pic of the first rack before going in, and I did not get a pic when they came out, but, here’s what I did get. The center rack only took 4 hrs to get up to 160, so I pulled them early, hope the texture is good. The others took near 7 hrs and will be fine. Used my AMNPS for about 5-6 hrs.

I’ll vacuum pack and freeze whole, and slice when I thaw for use.

65D20F5C-1CC1-41D4-9C60-549F9C868C85.jpeg
CDFB0CF7-CEE1-49DF-84DC-BE2B054DA5E7.jpeg

D,Looking good , I can't wait to see a sliced shot of your finished product.

The money shot.

I tried a couple times before I figured out the slow rise in temp over time brought the “dried” texture part of it, which is what makes it. That is the best part, it intensifies the flavor of the meat, and because of the cure it has a bit of a ham character, so those who don’t generally like venison actually like this. The Angelo’s beef rub bark seals the deal.

375EA4F7-43AE-401E-8BFF-BEE0A40D6FDF.jpeg

D,Looking good , I can't wait to see a sliced shot of your finished product.

Me too. Really curious.

With the meat processing plants shut down due to the Kung-Flu, the small meat-lockers that we used to bring our deer to were butchering beef...no time for deer. This looks like a great idea for butchering one ourselves. Big Like!

Congrats on the carousel ride.
I love dried venison. The best locker (now closed) always used rear haunch (round) roast for dried.
I would have a hard time giving up my back straps and chops for dried, but you have me looking and thinking
I tried a couple times before I figured out the slow rise in temp over time brought the “dried” texture part of it, which is what makes it. That is the best part, it intensifies the flavor of the meat, and because of the cure it has a bit of a ham character, so those who don’t generally like venison actually like this. The Angelo’s beef rub bark seals the deal.
Our morning coffee club has enough hunters and smokers that we periodically get treats. We all comment that many people that don't like fresh game will gobble it down if processed. For me, I don't like bear, no matter how one tries to disguise it.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Looks real good ! Now where can I find three deer ???
Just go drive around in your car around dusk! At least around here anyway. :emoji_blush:

That sure does look good! Not sure I could use loin or tenders either but still have plenty of roasts! Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
I would have a hard time giving up my back straps

Not sure I could use loin or tenders either

I completely understand, I also had a hard time with the decision, but it is the leanest cut, cures quickly, and dries relatively quickly. Plus my wife will eat it.

If one were to break down a larger lean roast into smaller cuts it would probably be fine, but a full 3 lb roast may have issues with dry cure penetration and I would assume take much longer in the smoker. A brine cure like Pops might work better for a whole roast, but the drying process might get real long.
Either way, it’s gotta be real lean, venison fat can be pretty “gamey”.

Just made a new batch yesterday.
The top 2 are whitetail backstraps. Yes, they’re small, I cut them in smaller pieces to fit in the freezer better.

The bottom 4 are Pronghorn backstraps from New Mexico. A friend of mine went out there to film a friend of his hunting and was given some of the meat. We tasted a plain piece of the pronghorn the day I cured all this, salt and pepper on the pellet grill till medium rare, it was excellent! Can’t wait to try it dried like this. Even the ladies who don’t like venison were impressed with how good it was.

Attachments

• 6F3EF43C-D600-4E3D-84B0-E581D1C8D46B.jpeg
    6F3EF43C-D600-4E3D-84B0-E581D1C8D46B.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky