DougE's Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage w/ 2 types of jalapenos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
Didn't want to intrude any further in his thread, so here we are!

Made a 1kg batch and split it in half. I used raw jalapenos in one half and candied in the other.

jal-ched.jpg

The 1st link (7 o'clock position) in the candied jals half (on the right) is the meat left in the tube after stuffing the raw jals half.

Did a test fry of the candied (what was left in the tube) and it's REALLY good even before smoking. I'm thinking, though, that I probably would add a bit more of the candied jals...won't know for sure until after they're smoked.

I didn't bother with a test fry of the raw...when I chewed a couple of pieces of the raw pepper to see how hot they were, NO heat...at all! APPARENTLY, the ones I bought was those "notapenos"...I grew a couple of plants year before last and they taste basically like a bell pepper.

Oh well...they should still be good even without the heat.

Will update after smoking tomorrow.

Didn't want to intrude any further in his thread, so here we are!

Made a 1kg batch and split it in half. I used raw jalapenos in one half and candied in the other.

View attachment 654156

The 1st link (7 o'clock position) in the candied jals half (on the right) is the meat left in the tube after stuffing the raw jals half.

Did a test fry of the candied (what was left in the tube) and it's REALLY good even before smoking. I'm thinking, though, that I probably would add a bit more of the candied jals...won't know for sure until after they're smoked.

I didn't bother with a test fry of the raw...when I chewed a couple of pieces of the raw pepper to see how hot they were, NO heat...at all! APPARENTLY, the ones I bought was those "notapenos"...I grew a couple of plants year before last and they taste basically like a bell pepper.

Oh well...they should still be good even without the heat.

Will update after smoking tomorrow.
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out.

Also I have read that to get really really really good Jalapeno flavor in sauasge you use Jalapeno powder and/or dehydrated Jalapeno. Not smoked just dehydrated.

Since you have that fancy new upgraded electric smoker AND grow jalapenos you can simply cut a bunch in half and dehdyrate in the smoker without smoke and boom you now have jalapenos for sausage.

If you have a magic bullet with the grinder blade or a coffee grinder you dont mind using then you can grind those suckers up into powder or chunks with no effort.
Just DON'T immediately open after grinding. Let it sit for 10 min so all the particles settle down and wear a mask when pouring out of the grind container. You don't want to pepper powder/gas yourself hahahah :)

Nice work , they look great . You won't know until you cook one how hot they are .
Be watching for that cut shot .

OK...I'm using my PID to control the hotplate...should I bother to use a CABINET probe as well?

The reason I ask is that I'm in my 2nd hour (100/1hr/no smoke, 125/1hr/smoke, etc)...the PID is at 125 and holding (+/- 1 - 2degs) and the cabinet probe (about the middle of the cabinet) is reading less than that (bouncing around 110 - 112).

GAH! I swear, this stuff is gonna drive me to drinking!

Reactions: chopsaw
OK...I'm using my PID to control the hotplate...should I bother to use a CABINET probe as well?

The reason I ask is that I'm in my 2nd hour (100/1hr/no smoke, 125/1hr/smoke, etc)...the PID is at 125 and holding (+/- 1 - 2degs) and the cabinet probe (about the middle of the cabinet) is reading less than that (bouncing around 110 - 112).

Since you're just getting the hang of it I would , so you know . I normally don't , but did when I first set mine up .
Are you finishing in the smoker . or just getting some color and finishing in a water bath .
I ask because letting them go to long in the smoker can leave you with a tough casing .

I'm using 2Guys schedule for his jalapeno popper sausage...

100/1hr/NS
125/1hr/S
145/2hrs/S
155/2hrs/s

After that, I intend to finish SV to 152-ish.

It's good to know what your temps are on various levels.
Your smoker behaved like this anyhow you just didnt have multiple probes to tell you :D

Expect that as you get further away from the burner the lower the temp will be as air directs towards the vent.

I cut a rectangle out of untreated birch wood that acts like an "air trapping" shelf.
If i cook on the lower rack I slide this board into the next highest rack (no touching meat) and it helps trap heat under it.
If I'm using 2 racks I put it in above the food on the 2nd rack so it traps heat for the two racks in use. It works pretty well but still air wants to escape towards the vent to get out.

I hope this bit of info helps :)

Where did you install your new stack?

BTW, your BC is pristine clean compared to mine.

Are you asking where on BC I installed it?

Just got it today and haven't installed it yet. I'm unsure where would be best...top right rear or top center.

It's good to know what your temps are on various levels.
Your smoker behaved like this anyhow you just didnt have multiple probes to tell you :D

Expect that as you get further away from the burner the lower the temp will be as air directs towards the vent.

I cut a rectangle out of untreated birch wood that acts like an "air trapping" shelf.
If i cook on the lower rack I slide this board into the next highest rack (no touching meat) and it helps trap heat under it.
If I'm using 2 racks I put it in above the food on the 2nd rack so it traps heat for the two racks in use. It works pretty well but still air wants to escape towards the vent to get out.

I hope this bit of info helps :)

I kind of stumbled across the idea of "air trapping" when I first set/turned on PID/BC this morning.

Thinking I might need to put the drip tray in place, I put it on 2nd lowest rack (PID probe on the bottom rack) and I didn't get that big initial temp spike like I did Saturday...as soon as I removed the drip tray, it spiked. I didn't think of it as "air trapping" as much as "heat barrier", but I think your description is more fitting.

Are you asking where on BC I installed it?

Just got it today and haven't installed it yet. I'm unsure where would be best...top right rear or top center.

Yes
My Big Chief (BC) will probably get a new heating unit later this year thanks to your threads. I'm mostly thinking forward to when I do my Westinghouse fridge smoker build.
I've read a lot of threads that have differing observations on exhaust placement. So far top center appears to be a favorite.

Yes
My Big Chief (BC) will probably get a new heating unit later this year thanks to your threads. I'm mostly thinking forward to when I do my Westinghouse fridge smoker build.
I've read a lot of threads that have differing observations on exhaust placement. So far top center appears to be a favorite.

YAY! I get to join the Enabler Club (well, maybe more of an influencer, but hey! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

I wish I could find someone who wanted to make a smoker out of an old upright freezer so I wouldn't have to cart it off to the dump!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky