Door thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yamalube

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
Fernandina Beach Florida
Hey everyone, kind of new here. I have a MB 40inch xl propane smoker. I need the door thermometer. I have already bought one from MB and it was very expensive but I broke it. I went to Home Depot and bought a universal one, it reads 50-75 degrees off because it is too short. Can someone please lead me in the direction of a thermometer that doesn't cost 20 dollars, and has a long enough stem please? I have been looking at Amazon just don't know who to trust. And yes I do use TWO oven thermometers inside already to double check the IT. Thanks. Would this work????

Its weird but my door thermometer is starting to read closer to my Thermopro probes that I use for CC temps. Makes me wonder if the probes are going bad or is the door getting better.
Jim

Reactions: kruizer
Hmm strange. Guys on the Mb FB page are saying to run a digital probe type and just clip it to the rack. And have a digital readout outside the smoker. It is just too expensive. I really want a analog thermo for the door.

Reactions: JLeonard
Would this work????
I don't use propane , but I have one that looks like that from river country on my WSM . I think it was 10 bucks . Works fine for an idea of the temp at the lid . Bought it at Academy Sports . I think they had them with up to 6 " probes , not sure of the price on those .

So this is what I have. Not making much sense why the probe type is so much higher than the oven thermometer(s). I have 2 in there and they both are reading 350.

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_161711.jpg
    IMG_20200914_161711.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200914_161743.jpg
    IMG_20200914_161743.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 16001148617043902425220197989255.jpg
    16001148617043902425220197989255.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 11
Hmm strange. Guys on the Mb FB page are saying to run a digital probe type and just clip it to the rack. And have a digital readout outside the smoker. It is just too expensive. I really want a analog thermo for the door.

Depends on where the sensor is, and if you can move it to the meat.

Or like when I bought the Fridge I have now:
I called them to take it back, because it was 2° off, which meant I couldn't get the range I wanted. I checked it with the sensor in a bottle of water in my fridge to get the temp.
So they sent a tech out, and he shot the Back wall of the Fridge with his Laser Therm, and got the "correct Temp". So I asked him if that showed us the temp of the back wall. He said yes. I said my Maverick is showing me what the air is in the Fridge, so unless you can figure out how I can put all my food inside the back wall of the Fridge, I don't want this one. I want one that shows the actual Temp of the Air in the Fridge.
The Tech said, "You're right---I agree"

They took it back & brought me a New one, which was perfect & is still in my Kitchen right now. Must be 7 or 8 years by now.

Bear

Reactions: JLeonard
yamalube yamalube Do a ice bath check on your digital probes and you can also do a boiling water check on them. Make sure its accurate. I will check mine every few cooks.

Reactions: yamalube
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky