DIY Tandoor Oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Not sure where this post should live but this seemed as good a place as any..

Has anyone tried a DIY Tandoor Oven? I have seen a couple things like this and curious how well it actually works.

The food that comes out of these is amazing, so I am curious to give it a shot if these work.

Has anyone tried a DIY Tandoor Oven? I have seen a couple things like this and curious how well it actually works.

The food that comes out of these is amazing, so I am curious to give it a shot if these work.
Wish I could help buddy but I'll be watching to see what you figure out.
I wonder if a cinderblock type oven would work. I'm pretty sure Tandoors are big clay ovens (like giant clay pots) but not sure how the shape and construction affect how it works. They do have a specific shape to them... I think.

I built something similar years ago. Made some kebabs but never quite got around to using as tandoor. But it makes a killer beer can chicky rig!

8502E487-7CB1-4F47-876A-25D09020EC8C.jpeg
6FC88072-3960-42A6-90AD-0C3E0C3AB03B.jpeg
ADEF673F-9012-491E-A825-9A52F2F3DF87.jpeg

Well shit, that is perfect. I should not have given away my WSM! lol. You're looking pretty close to what I want to do there. Thanks for sharing - the WSM base is a great idea. I need to keep an eye out for anything on the curb that might work as a good base.

Brilliant. I was going to say, it looks like that pot fits like a glove. Was wondering if that was a coincidence but you answered that!

Hi, I’ve just posted some pics in ‘other builds’ of a tandoor I’ve just made using large terracotta plant pots and a cheap galvanised dustbin and someone linked me to your post here - if you do a title search on ‘trash can tandoor’ you‘ll spot it. You could definitely go bigger on the pots than I did, but I was trying to keep to a budget In case the ‘prototype’ didn’t work. I initially had airflow problems with the charcoal blocking the vent holes but I sorted that by making a steel grate (3mm sheet with holes drilled in it) that sits 1cm above the oven floor. It massively improved performance and it gets much much hotter. I think that a side entry air vent would probably be the way to go if I made another. I won’t post loads of pics here as they are on the other thread, but if you’re interested, I’d be happy to answer any questions (as well as I can!) Cheers - Jonty

Attachments

• 79DA00A7-9135-4FE3-B6BC-F7D8ED25B127.jpeg
    79DA00A7-9135-4FE3-B6BC-F7D8ED25B127.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 21
  • 038FD527-54CA-4115-8015-A00E01F76AB1.jpeg
    038FD527-54CA-4115-8015-A00E01F76AB1.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 21
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky