DIY Cold smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squib

Original poster
Jun 11, 2010

so I looked all over the web and watched Youtube videos to try and find a good way to make a cold smoker. This went on for almost a week, I almost shelled out $70 for an attachment to my existing hot smoker.

Well this morning I needed to start smoking, so I looked in my basement for something to just "get by" I grab a heavy metal deep junction box I had laying around. filled it 1/3 of the way with wood chips and hit the wood chips with a cutting torch for about 60 seconds. I then blew the fire out, then filled the rest of the junction box with wood chips and put it into my smoker. My smoker is powered off. This has been smoking like a Dead concert for a solid hour. The temp of the box is setting at 50 degrees. The total cost of my entire cold smoker... $1.38

I suppose I could also have used a large cardboard box to smoke in, instead of my smoker.

as you can see it seems to work great.

The smoker in the picture is a Masterbuild electric smoker.  At this point, I may just use it keep temperature and use my junction box as the main smoking element of the smoker.  It seems to work a lot better.

Meat is expensive, a smoke generator is not.

Perhaps you should be getting a smoke generator which will give you much better control of the quality of smoke.

dcarch

[h1]Galvanized Grill[/h1]
Product Name:Galvanized Grill
Category:Grill & Park Accessories
Supplier:Leisure Craft
Product Type:Home, Park & Patio Accessories
Product ID:1595

[h2]Gallery:[/h2]
Galvanized Grill

[h2]Full Description:[/h2]
This galvanized grill is perfect for any park, picnic, spring or hunting camp. Designed with commercial use in mind

Features:
  • Adjustable grill height
  • Surface or in ground mount
  • High heat black enamel cooking surface
  • galvanized firebox and pole
  • Optional utility shelf

[h2]Available Model Numbers:[/h2]
lc120-galv

Something about this bothers me.

Stan

Nuther commercial for ambulance chasers. If you have used this grill and can't get the zinc taste out of your mouth.....
52.gif

2/4/14     1600     hello squib, this is Chuck from Tx., i also want try my hand at cold smoking. i rent a room with

6 acres of land with pecan, pear, and oak wood. also a 3 car garage to build a smoke house ( and out of weather ).

i do well with my smoker for now, need a diff one so i dont cross contaminate. all comments welcome.

TY.   Chuck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky