Dialing in on the new Char-griller 980

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tntragan

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Reedsport, Oregon
My fourth cook with the char-griller. Cooked a ham, pork chops, hamburgers, and now boneless, skinless chicken thighs. First two cooks I oversmoked them. The burgers I didn't add any smoke for a baseline and tonight I cooked the thighs at 300 deg for about an hour then I threw in a small piece of apple wood into the hopper and cranked the temp to caramelize the sauce. Smoke flavor was just right. Still struggling to get good caramelizing on the sauce. Probably just need to let it go a little longer. Going to cook up two hams for Easter. Hoping I get the smoke dialed in this time.

Attachments

• 20220414_182822.jpg
    20220414_182822.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 27
I and many others recommend a cook journal bud. You write as much info per cook as you can. It helps be a lot more consistent especially with a new smoker/grill. As for caramelization more heat bud. just gotta be careful you don't burn em. Don't be afraid of fire :<). Thanks for posting glad you like your GF we love ours on this forum no matter if it's mb, chargriller or some expensive monstrosity.

fire is good.jpg

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have a recipe app I use to keep notes with my recipes. I've been making lots of notes on these cooks. It definitely helps, especially the older I get. I maxed the grill up to 700 this time and that was definitely better. I just need to be a little more patient with the process. It's not like cooking on direct heat, for sure.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky