Cure questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeff1143

Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Coleraine Mn
Curing pork belly with tender quick at 1 Tbsp per pound. I rubbed the tenderquick on 1 side only and realized I should have done both sides. They are about 1 1/2 inch thick in ziplock bags on day number 8 at 36 degrees. Have flipped and massaged each day. So my question is are these going to cure correctly but will take longer or should I start over?

Curing pork belly with tender quick at 1 Tbsp per pound. I rubbed the tenderquick on 1 side only and realized I should have done both sides. They are about 1 1/2 inch thick in ziplock bags on day number 8 at 36 degrees. Have flipped and massaged each day. So my question is are these going to cure correctly but will take longer or should I start over?
Also the belly was skin off and rubbed on the meat side opposite of the fat cap

Reactions: SmokinEdge
You are golden in a plastic bag. What was your total time going to be? I’d stick with it and the belly will be fully cured. Enjoy.
Thanks for the reply. Was originally planning on 9 days. But now I think I’ll go 11 days due to the weather. -25 below at night here in Minnesota for the next couple days..

Thanks for the reply. Was originally planning on 9 days. But now I think I’ll go 11 days due to the weather. -25 below at night here in Minnesota for the next couple days..
Longer never hurt anyone. The salt content of TQ may over all be a bit salty at the finish, but you can soak the meat in fresh water to mitigate that. It will be perfectly cured and save though.
I use cure #1 and control my salt by percentage to meat weight. In this way my finished product has the exact salt concentration that I like. Can’t necessarily do that with TQ, which was developed by a company who sell salt. Just saying.

Reactions: denny
Longer never hurt anyone. The salt content of TQ may over all be a bit salty at the finish, but you can soak the meat in fresh water to mitigate that. It will be perfectly cured and save though.
I use cure #1 and control my salt by percentage to meat weight. In this way my finished product has the exact salt concentration that I like. Can’t necessarily do that with TQ, which was developed by a company who sell salt. Just saying.
Will definitely fry a piece and see how salty it is and go from there. Thanks again👍

Reactions: SmokinEdge
cold smoked it for 8 hours at 60-75 degrees then turned it up to 180 till the bacon was at 95 degrees. Was a tad bit salty before I smoked it so I soaked it in water for a couple hours. Should be tasty!

Attachments

• 73B30860-2B36-4FEB-958E-567AA9F8D79A.jpeg
    73B30860-2B36-4FEB-958E-567AA9F8D79A.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 19
Tastes great. Soaking it in water took away the saltiness. Almost to the point of not being salty enough. But I think it is still excellent
If the packages are given any time to rest, I say if because we all turn into circus freaks when there is fresh bacon and we eat it all, that said, as the bacon has a chance to rest even frozen, the salt will move around and it will balance. If not next time just rinse and dry, no soak.

Reactions: jeff1143
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky