Corned beef brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pete Vance

Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Wife picked up small corned beef brisket today and I am going to smoke it. Do I need to do anything different than if doing a regular brisket?

Well Aldis had quite a few of these today at 50% off which came down to $2.80/lb.Got two 4.5lb flats.

Smoked a bunch of brisket just never a store bought corned beef brisket.

Other than a good soaking to get rid of the saltiness is there anything else I should consider?

Great advice given here!

After soaking I would do a little fry test where you trim a small slice and fry it up. Eat it and see if it is still too salty. If you think "It might be a little salty" then it is.
Resoak and try again later. When it is NOT a little too salty then it is good to go.

This will save you from wasting time and nail your salt level :)

Yup, Jake got ya covered. I usually rub it with a heavy coat of fresh cracked pepper and coriander. Beats store bought pastrami every time.

Reactions: TNJAKE
After soaking I would do a little fry test where you trim a small slice and fry it up. Eat it and see if it is still too salty. If you think "It might be a little salty" then it is.
Resoak and try again later. When it is NOT a little too salty then it is good to go.

This will save you from wasting time and nail your salt level :)
We definitely are not salt people so that certainly something I will do.

Reactions: tallbm
Hoping to get that going hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Will post back after the smoke on what I did and how it came out.

Reactions: TNJAKE
OK!So not the results I was looking for.

It had the most odd shape to it so I tied it.

The brisket was soaked for about 12 hours with three water changes.I really wasn't sure about a flavor profile as far as rub so I went with a saltless version of Jeff's rub and it went into the MES with a full 12" tube of char/hickory and apple dust at 10pm.Came out at 10am probe tender at 199 and into its cocoon in the cooler for several hours.

Came out more like pulled beef.Super tender and moist but still very salty.Did what chopsaw chopsaw suggested with the fry test and it tasted good but the end result was just to salty.

I got a few pics but not much worth looking at.

Attachments

• 20220514_184224.jpg
    20220514_184224.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220515_093700.jpg
    20220515_093700.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220515_184943.jpg
    20220515_184943.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 9
Even if too salty looks very good. Salt is hit and miss across the different brands. Grobbel's is my favorite brand and easiest for me to adjust salt with a soak

Well anyways I was thrilled when I started slicing/pulling.The smell,the tenderness was incredible and then the taste and I was bummed.

It'll make its way into a chili at some point.

I actually went back and got another while the first was on the smoker.So now I have two more!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky