Comp cooking vs backyard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I watch the shows too and I heard a contestant says squeeze butter is easier to use than stick butter. Allows them to get the wrap finished and back on the smoker quicker.

I watch the shows too and I heard a contestant says squeeze butter is easier to use than stick butter. Allows them to get the wrap finished and back on the smoker quicker.
Competition BBQ is a different beast, and cooks go to extremes to make the most out of one bite. I'm a BBQ Judge and I use some of he comp tips and tricks at home, but usually to a lesser degree. Injections are a good example, I use competition products, but my mixing ratio might be 1/3 of the amount used in competition.

To comment on the squeeze butter question.... In addition to wrapping, a lot of comp cooks are using the spray version of Parkay or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter during the cook. Parkay doesn't break like butter can, has a higher smoke point, it helps melt the sugars in the rub and to some degree it keeps the sugars in the rub from darkening or burning and adds a level of moisture. Some cooks will use butter flavored popcorn oil.

Reactions: zwiller and TNJAKE
Competition BBQ is a different beast, and cooks go to extremes to make the most out of one bite. I'm a BBQ Judge and I use some of he comp tips and tricks at home, but usually to a lesser degree. Injections are a good example, I use competition products, but my mixing ratio might be 1/3 of the amount used in competition.

To comment on the squeeze butter question.... In addition to wrapping, a lot of comp cooks are using the spray version of Parkay or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter during the cook. Parkay doesn't break like butter can, has a higher smoke point, it helps melt the sugars in the rub and to some degree it keeps the sugars in the rub from darkening or burning and adds a level of moisture. Some cooks will use butter flavored popcorn oil.
Interesting to hear from a Comp Judge. Thank you for your insight on the butter use and properties.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky