Cold & Snow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PIT Shawn

Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
Ogden, UT
I've done a few cooks this winter in about 32*F temps. Things went well in dry weather conditions. Tomorrow is going to be snowing all day here in Northern UT with temps right at freezing. I'm worried about the snow hitting the smoker and the resultant heat loss due to the changing of states (snow to water) and the water on the surface pulling a lot of heat out of the smoker. Any suggestions or am I overthinking this?
BTW. Oklahoma Joe Bronco drum smoker. Kingsford blue because that's all I have right now Beef Tri-tip at 275* until cooked medium rare.

It's gonna be a short smoke anyway getting the tri tip to med rare. I wouldn't sweat the weather. Snow and wind will make a bigger impact on a longer low and slow cook. I would suggest taking it just shy of med rare then reverse searing though

I've done a few cooks this winter in about 32*F temps. Things went well in dry weather conditions. Tomorrow is going to be snowing all day here in Northern UT with temps right at freezing. I'm worried about the snow hitting the smoker and the resultant heat loss due to the changing of states (snow to water) and the water on the surface pulling a lot of heat out of the smoker. Any suggestions or am I overthinking this?
BTW. Oklahoma Joe Bronco drum smoker. Kingsford blue because that's all I have right now Beef Tri-tip at 275* until cooked medium rare.

Around Logan, or Garden City? I'm a couple hundred miles east and I get the same weather. Heat transfer is a downside to having a metal smoker of any kind. This is why I have two ceramic cookers.... they laugh at snow and cold.

Anyways, here is an idea using an Army wool blanket and some common accessories on your drum. If you can block the wind, that is a big plus. If you can block the wind and insulate.... that is better. Don't insulate around the charcoal basket, insulate the section of your drum above that.
cP8LuFz.jpg

Reactions: PIT Shawn
I wouldn’t worry about it at all. A tritip will be quick if we were talking a 12 hour cook or something I could see an issue. I actually did one on my kettle last weekend and it was about 21* with snow and no issues. For tritips I usually pay more attention to the temp of meat then the smoker/grill. Heck my buddy would make the best tritips I’ve ever had on his little smoking joe at the beach! No effort really.

What the heck! sure its windy and bloody cold... but I bought the Brisket and well.....I got the smoker as a present this xmas! Never had one before. Learn as I go along.
smoker windy.jpg

Thanks, folks! Everything went well on this short cook (took about 1:30). Thanks for the advice on watching out for wind/cold/precipitation on long smokes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky