Cold smoking sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SCBBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 2, 2021
I'm going to attempt some pepperoni and some Hungarian sausage recipes next week - both call for cold smoking for a few hours.

I'm worried that my big commercial pellet smoker will get too hot in the making of any smoke.. it doesn't have super low settings..

Has anyone just used one of the cocktail smoke machines? Seems like I could utilize this and the temporary tent I build over the hang rack they are in during the first couple of days.

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 9.23.40 AM.png

Go with the tube for your application....and use wood dust instead of pellets that is my recommendation. you will also need a top vent of some kind for the smoke to escape.

Wait until after fermentation before smoking the salami. Also, the ambient temp. needs to be around 65ish degrees F or lower.

I watched the video....first thought- Man that is a LOT of white smoke! Then I see this is burning pellets.....no wonder....

This is a great example of why I recommend burning dust for cold smoking......

Upgrade, meaning more money? Then yes, that will certainly cost more. I'd spend the $25 and get a tray or tube. As long as you have some air flow, these will give you good clean smoke.

Reactions: smokerjim
Thanks guys - I bought a tube and some dust/fine chips on Amazon... appreciate the feedback!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky