Chemistry + Creativity = Great BBQ! (Noob)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrwizardgi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Nebraska
Hey all! I'm Jason and I'm here in living the Good Life in Nebraska. I'm a chemistry/astronomy teacher and have always loved to cook. I got my first grill the other day: A char-griller Grillin' Pro 3001 w/ sfb. I'm hoping to have fun and learn some basic points of grilling and smoking with it. It was a cheaper alternative that would give me the convenience of gas, but let me explore and play around with charcoal and smoking.

I look forward to reading and maybe adding to the vast amounts of wisdom on these boards. Good smoke to you all!

J-

Welcome Mr. Wizard , great place to start is Jeffs Free 5 day email course . Lot's of experiments have been distilled down into informative classroom lessons that are easy to understand and recreate
icon_smile.gif

Lot's of great posts here in all the sections of the forum , easy to research the basics , then folks right here to answer any and all questions you may have.
To sum up this silly analogy , The Chemists , and phyciststs < no spelling major here
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif
> have gotten together to create a forum that will help you create Q that is heavenly and outta this world
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Welcome to SMF and shoot for the stars
icon_smile.gif

Jason, welcome to the best smokin' site on th net. SMF that is.

welcome from a former Nebraskan! I have the same unit as you and with the modifications recommended here - have really turned out some fine smokes!

Mr. Wizard,

There is so much science in cooking! Glad to have you. I have a 4yr mech. eng. degree and a 2yr degree in chem. I look forward to some good discussions. This is a website you and all the other members should appreciate. http://www.cookingforengineers.com/
There is lots and lots and lots of great technical info in this forum. Have fun!

What a cool site! Thanks for sharing that with me!

Husker-Q: I'd be interested in knowing/seeing pics of what you've done. I've started some of the mods I've seen, but am unsure of 'how far' I plan on taking my grill...although my goal is to enter (and win) our local BBQ contest next year (it's part of the town celebration which is actually going on today, but I didn't get my stuff together soon enough to do it this year).

Thanks!

J-

i like to cook out, period grilling makes everything better cept iced cream. smoking is great. love smoked chicken. and it is easy. smoked duck is good too. trying to learn how to do a good pork butt or abeef briskett.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky