Char Griller 980 Running very high temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nayston

Original poster
May 7, 2021
Just got the grill. Doing burn in. Set it to 350. After 20 minutes the grill was piping hot at over 450 degrees. Is this normal for 1st use? What can be causing this? It is in direct sun and it's like 82 degrees out, but if that's causing it, how can you use the grill in the summer?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

grill.PNG

Current temp right now 20 minutes after I took that pic is 501 and climbing.

I don't know anything about that smoker and very few of us around here will either. I've only seen one or two here that has one yet........my advice would be go through your manual and verify you did everything correctly when you fired it up. If you did then I'd contact the manufacturer and see what they say. It's probably a simple fix or adjustment

Sounds like the fire is getting too much air.
Is the fan cycling on and off or is it running continuously?
Is there a vent or damper that is wide open?

Reactions: TNJAKE
I just shut it down and no didn't double check the temps. After doing some more reading, it's possible the fan was continuously blowing and not shutting off when at temp. I guess there is some flap that is supposed to freely move, and it's possible it's not. Once it cools, I'm going to look at the flap and pay attention to when the fan kicks on/off.

I don't own this cooker, but I'm reading several have had problems with the flap between the firebox and cook chamber. Its a rubber flap and it burns out. Trendkill had that problem.

I'll go find his vids .

It's funny that he's harshing on Masterbuilt, I visited their web page yesterday and registered a problem I have with the power transformer.
Today I got an email that they are sending me a new one, free.
This is 5 months out of warranty.

Reactions: 912smoker
Thanks for the responses guys. I checked the flap and it was down. I poked it a few times to make sure it moved well, and then I started it up again. This time it held temps just fine. Perhaps something got stuck from delivery. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: 912smoker
It's funny that he's harshing on Masterbuilt, I visited their web page yesterday and registered a problem I have with the power transformer.
Today I got an email that they are sending me a new one, free.
This is 5 months out of warranty.

He " harshes " on everything. Has a problem with every smoker he owns. He wears me slick with saying the same things over and over and dragging out a 10 minute vid to 30 minutes. It took 12 minutes to tell us he was taking the CharGriller back to Lowes.

At some point he sold the MB. I searched all through his vids on an explanation why. Never found anything. I think it was last July he made a vid cooking on the MB. Then we never saw it again. And occasionally he makes short reference to it like we all should know what happened.

It seems like these CharGrillers are going through some growing pains like the Masterbuilt gravity smokers did a couple of years back. No doubt they will fix these issues eventually. Report it to them and work towards a solution.

That explanation sounds reasonable. Fortunately I've not encountered any issues yet. I've been putting my wood in the ash pan. Usually just 2-3 smallish chunks, so maybe they've been small enough not to cause a problem. I may start putting the wood in the hopper.

I don't own this cooker, but I'm reading several have had problems with the flap between the firebox and cook chamber. Its a rubber flap and it burns out. Trendkill had that problem.

I'll go find his vids .
Yep. Big issue. I made my own flapper out of Teflon grill mat. Works the way it should now.

Reactions: RCAlan
Thanks for the responses guys. I checked the flap and it was down. I poked it a few times to make sure it moved well, and then I started it up again. This time it held temps just fine. Perhaps something got stuck from delivery. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Thanks everyone.
Yah on the left of the flap there is an area the motor wires run through. Make sure the flap is y hung on it. If the flap is burning up make one from a Teflon grill mat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky