Cast iron flame pot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nathan1220

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
I’m new to smoking and recently was given a masterbuilt vertical propane smoker. The flame bowl pot was rusted through. I’ve read that using a cast iron skillet is a better option than just buying a new flame bowl. Without holes in the cast iron will my wood chunks get hot enough to catch fire and smoke? Also I’m not sure this is the right spot to post this lol

Reactions: Will Squared
I’m new to smoking and recently was given a masterbuilt vertical propane smoker. The flame bowl pot was rusted through. I’ve read that using a cast iron skillet is a better option than just buying a new flame bowl. Without holes in the cast iron will my wood chunks get hot enough to catch fire and smoke? Also I’m not sure this is the right spot to post this lol
Also I did a smoke today and had a terrible time with regulating my heat, I had a probe hanging in it from my top vent. Not sure if that was a good place for it. It was hanging in the middle of the smoker not touching any metal directly.

You can use a cast iron skillet but you need a lid with some holes in it , if not they will burn up quickly and make the temp hard to control. propane rigs can be hard to keep the temps down on a warm breeze free day or at least mine is. you might try tin foil with just a few holes in it to start

Reactions: Nathan1220
If your burn pot is rusted out you need to place some kind of grate on top of the burner to raise the CI up off the bottom of the smoker. If you are calling the chip pan that came with the smoker a burn pot. I have used a CI pan for years with not problems. Yes the temp can be hard to control with experience you can learn to control It. Your heat probe should be attacked to a grate. I assume you have a Master Built. I one that is over 7 years old.

Warren

You can use a cast iron skillet but you need a lid with some holes in it , if not they will burn up quickly and make the temp hard to control. propane rigs can be hard to keep the temps down on a warm breeze free day or at least mine is. you might try tin foil with just a few holes in it to start
Thank you so much!!

If your burn pot is rusted out you need to place some kind of grate on top of the burner to raise the CI up off the bottom of the smoker. If you are calling the chip pan that came with the smoker a burn pot. I have used a CI pan for years with not problems. Yes the temp can be hard to control with experience you can learn to control It. Your heat probe should be attacked to a grate. I assume you have a Master Built. I one that is over 7 years old.

Warren
Thank you so much

Reactions: Will Squared
I am new to the smoking world. I have a masterbuilt propane smoker. I was having problems with chips burning up too fast and hot causing temperature swings. I put a cast iron skillet on top of the chip pan. Has worked great. Chips smoke without any issue, temperature spikes are very minimal.

Reactions: Nathan1220
Answered my question for me. I was wondering if this would fix my problem. Just got a Masterbuilt propane smoker month or so ago and seemed like the chunks burnt up rather fast. May try this and see how it works. Thanks!

Lets us know JLeonard. Not sure how the new chip pans are made but the old ones had holds in them that allowed the flames to reach up into the chip pan.

Warren

Reactions: JLeonard
Lets us know JLeonard. Not sure how the new chip pans are made but the old ones had holds in them that allowed the flames to reach up into the chip pan.

Warren
Yep same old pan. I haven’t gotten a CI pan yet. But I have triple layered foil in the pan and it seems to help.

Finally got a CI pan.......Working like a charm. Nice long even TBS with it. I just set it on top of the factory chip pan and cook away.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky