Can my brisket be saved?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cwb124

Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
Put my 3rd brisket on the smoker last night at about 1:30am. Temperature around 235. Got up twice to check and to flip it early this morning.

Bottom line is it hit 192 degrees at about 2pm today and I used another thermometer to test the tenderness. Thermometer went in and out very easily. Took the brisket off and rested it for about an hour in a tin foil tent.

I sliced a piece off and it isn't nearly as tender as it needs to be. I am slicing against the grain and it just isn't tender, there are no gaps between the membrane and meat when looking at the cross section. I am thinking of foiling it and putting it in the over at 240 for a few hours or maybe back on the smoker. Will this work?

Do you know if your thermometer is calibrated? From my experience, 190 is a good temperature for slicing, but thin slices. over 200, I think you will begin to see the meat start falling apart like you describe. This is good for pulling or thicker slices. I have sliced my brisket too thick at lower temps, and it just doesn't seem to be as tender as if I had sliced it thinner.

I have never tried putting a brisket back in the oven, but I don't think it could hurt too much. Try and bring the temp up a bit on the brisket. Worse that could happen is you have a lot of chopped beef on your hands...
icon_smile.gif

I should calibrate the thermometer, or at least test it. The best way is the boiling water, right?

Well I foiled it and put it in the over. We'll see what happens.

Supervan, not sure how that helps. Brisket is already cooked for the most part.

How big was the brisket? 12.5 hours - @1.5 hours per pound (average time) would cover a 8 lb. brisket. Internal temp isn't always the best gauge. It's done when it's done!

It was only 11lbs before trimming. Trimmed at least 2lbs. It really should be done, but I guess what I really like in a brisket requires 14+ hours of smoking. I like thick slices and almost falling apart.

Probe trick should work well for you.
You said the end isin't tender or did you slice thru the midle yet?
Ends usually dry out but center meat might be perfect.

Is it a select or choice brisket? Once the thick part of the flat reaches 190 to 195 internal wrap tight in HD foil and place in a dry cooler for 2 to 4 hours before serving.
You said you like to cut thick and have almost fall apart, then take it to 200 internal before foiling, warning once a brisket hits 200 internal it start losing moisture and the end results can be a drier product.

Jim

Well I think I saved it. I wrapped it in HD foil and put in the oven at 240 degrees for about 90 minutes. I then let it rest for about an hour still wrapped in foil (didn't use a cooler, guess I should have).

Thick sliced, falling apart just as I liked it. I sliced about 3/4 of it and chopped the rest. Man was that good.

Thanks for the advice folks, next brisket should go even smoother.

Now I just need a thin BBQ sauce to go with it.

Glad it worked out for you. Next one will be a charm.

What SuperV is talking about ( I think) is that you should cook your brisket as outlined in the sticky. If you foil your brisket at 165F and take it to 195-200F with some liquid in the foil, the brisket will be extremely tender. Some people think its cheating to foil, but I personally think it tastes better and I am the one eating it. Glad things worked out for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky