Camp Chef vs Pit Boss Pro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Finally got to use my pitboss and I do not have the updated firmware, I did try using the grill set at 250 and it dropped to 225 and held solid there so I opened a case with pitboss and the response was as follows.
Hi there!
This controller has a proprietary PID (proportional � integral- derivative) based program. This program is based on a continual loop of feedback and algorithms that adjust and compensate to more accurately achieve and land on target temperatures. The program will gradually adjust the grill to reach a target to prevent the grill from spiking or overshooting temperature. In smoking temps (180-275), we have slowed down the jumps from set to set temp to prevent overshooting temperatures and better overall smoking experience. So, we recommend doing 2-3 "burn offs" at 350 for about 40 minutes each. This should help regulate the temperature.

The proper way to start it in order to maintain that temperature, you will want to start the grill up at 350 every time. Once it reaches that temperature, back it down to the lower (desired) temperature.

If this does not work. please let me know!!

From what I'm hearing pitboss is now just sending out new controllers don't even have to send the old one back. So even though I have my doubts about what they recommend helping I will try it and if not I will request a replacement controller.
It only took 5 minutes to swap out the controller but... if anyone is going to do this do yourself a favor and leave 1 of the outside corner screws in there and spin the whole plate out, instead of removing the plate. That'll save you from laying on your back with one arm trying to hold the plate back in the right spot while dropping the tiny screws on your belly.

Ok, my new controller came from Pit Boss yesterday, quickly put it in this morning.
Not Only is the faulty power issue gone but it's the new temperature control in 10° increments rather than 50°.
It'll be much easier to hold at 225 or 250 now.

I also hung one of the 4 meat probes in the barrel to check "actual" temp. With a second probe in an oversized Turkey. I found, at least in the current weather, there is a 5-20° difference in the readings. I went with the lower meat probe reading and the bird came out Great!
Oh yeah, the warranty covered the faulty power button and PB was very professional and fast, once i entered my serial number into my registration info.

Great!! I'm glad they got it taken care of fairly quick.

OP, look at the Camp Chef's price on Home Depot's site.

I have actually ordered the SG 24 WIFI (PG24SGCB) from Lowes on Friday. It's the one with the bronze lid. I really would have preferred the all black one, but this is the only color SG 24 Lowes has on their site. It was quite a bit cheaper from Lowes, plus it qualified for 12 month 0% interest on my Lowes card.

My order status shows this:

snag.png

Hopefully it's on the way, but I suppose it may have went out of stock at Camp Chef before the order got processed since the PG24SGCB is now out of stock again at CC (it was in stock on CC's website the day I ordered it from Lowes).

It is done!

new camp chef.jpg

new camp chef1.jpg

I fired it up for awhile after I put it together yesterday to let everything burn off, but didn't have time to actually cook anything. I have everything on hand for a batch of ABTs, so I may do that this afternoon and maybe some hotdogs or something.

I fired it up for awhile after I put it together yesterday to let everything burn off, but didn't have time to actually cook anything. I have everything on hand for a batch of ABTs, so I may do that this afternoon and maybe some hotdogs or something.
Nice . If you get time , give an update on how you like it please .
Been thinking about this grill . Thanks

Nice . If you get time , give an update on how you like it please .
Been thinking about this grill . Thanks
I've done a few cooks on it so far and I like it. The lower grate temp runs hotter than what the controller reads, but it's what I expected since the controller probe is located above the grate. You can make temp adjustments in 5 degree increments, so no big deal to dial in the grate temp where you want it.

The app works well over bluetooth and WIFI. I could have lived without being able to use my phone to check food temps/adjust temp or smoke level, but it is kind of handy.

I keep saying I'm going to try the slide and grill feature to see how well it does at grilling, but I always end up using the gas grill. I mainly bought it for smoking, and so far, I'm satisfied with it for that. I run the smoke setting at 10 and get a decent smoke flavor in the food.

I would have preferred the grill in black, but Lowes only has the SG in bronze. The bronze is growing on me, especially since it was 100 bucks less than ordering direct from CC.

Last edited:
Cool . Thanks for the time . Looks like it has some nice features . Looking for something to keep in the garage , and cook out front if needed .
Thanks again .

Cool . Thanks for the time . Looks like it has some nice features . Looking for something to keep in the garage , and cook out front if needed .
Thanks again .
I got mine in the pole barn with the rest of my smokers. Just wheel the CC outside the door when I want to use it. Got an outlet right inside every door. Only issue I got is the barn floor is fine gravel .... it's hard packed from tractors, animals walking on it, etc, but it's still hard to roll the CC on it. It is a heavy grill .. I think shipping weight was 150 lbs, and another 20 with a bag of pellets on board. I either need to mod it with some larger pneumatic tires or maybe re engineer one of those flat metal deck yard wagons for it to sit on. That or pick up some metal and design a cart for it to sit on. It wouldn't be any big deal to move it around on concrete though.

Reactions: chopsaw
Chopsaw, if you decide to get one look at both Home Depot and Lowes. Sometimes one has it in stock when the other doesn't and last I looked they were the same price. I got mine from HD for that very reason.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky