Buying direct from organic farm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Paulie Walnuts 440

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
After your done smoking the process for cleaning? I've seen lang bbq bring temps up to 325 and squirt some water in there to "steam clean". Any thoughts and suggestions?

I wouldn't add any water as you might cause rust quicker, bring it up to its highest temp and run it for a hour would be a better idea to me. Some times you have to use water depending on the smoker style and some times you cant

How does cleaning and buying from organic farm match up ? lol

Reactions: TNJAKE
With my electric MES, after and before every cook, I raise the smoker temp to max. and hold it there for a couple hours to kill all the bacteria and cook any fat that has been left in it.. Sure has reduced the mold etc...
The steam clean thing sounds like a good step for prevention of grease build up... and killing any bacteria etc...
Have the drain valves open and flush them.... Keep the heat on to dry out the smoker...
I leave intakes and exhausts wide open for air flow... I think I would crack the CC door and FB door also... In my electric, doing so has put an end to mold growth... I think it's the air movement.. etc....
If you can get it clean after every smoke, you are doing yourself a really big favor..... Let the fire burn out and burn up all what's' left.... then scoop out the ash into a metal bucket.... Even think about rinsing out the FB, if it's going to be awhile before the next use.... Wood ash mixed with water or humidity, is a big problem... corrosive as can be....
I've heard of folks that spray their smoker with cooking oil, when hot/warm, can't remember which, for a rust prevention step... I might use high temp paint for that step... flat black probably... OUTSIDE ONLY.... Cooking oil on the inside... ESPECIALLY food grates....
If this post is disjointed, it's early morning... 3:30...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky