Burnt ends - Separate point/flat before, during, or after?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mng024

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
Wisconsin
Curious how everyone likes to do it?
I imagine separating before cuts down on cook time? Also giving you the ability to leave one muscle on longer than another. I've never separated though prior to smoking, seems like a little bit of an intimidating cut.

This ^^^^. That is when I can get a full packer

Chris

For me two reasons. 1st I think it helps keep the flat moist, and 2nd. It's easier for me to separate the flat from the point. They almost separate themselves. Nothing scientific about my reasons just my preference.

Chris

If I'm making burnt ends from the entire point, I separate before. It allows for more bark on everything. When separating, try to keep the fat that is between the two parts connected to the flat to help keep it moist. If I'm not making burnt ends, or only making some from the point, I keep it whole.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Both ways work. If I don't separate before smoking, I trim out the kernel of fat so when the two muscles shrink they sort of separate themselves. When done right, I can use the spine of a slicing knife (the side opposite the cutting edge) to separate. I rest the flat, but return the whole point to the smoker. In a couple hours I cut into cubes, add rub and sauce and reduce for maybe 30 minutes. Notice I make a small 'V' cut on the flat to indicate grain direction. During the cook the small cut opens a bit. I slice across the 'V' which is across the grain.
GPCiXmC.jpg
6ka4EZi.jpg

When you separate the point first, one end will be sort of knobby and much thicker.
WBnEydn.jpg
So I trim some of the thin meat, and heavy areas of fat, then sort of butterfly the thick end to match the thickness on the other end, and round all the square corners. This way it cooks more evenly and makes it easy to cut burnt ends.
4Tvdpvd.jpg
Here is the same point, trimmed and shaped..... before and after cooking.
hPEpFJT.jpg
SAGNbET.jpg

So I separated to about 95%, was able to pull so much more hard fat out, and now can season the whole point while still having the point there to protect the flat.

Attachments

• 20201015_175806.jpg
    20201015_175806.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20201015_175813.jpg
    20201015_175813.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20201015_175820.jpg
    20201015_175820.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 47
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky