Burner problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbiesmoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Huntington, In.
I've fixed the issue with the crappy flame in the short pipe. My issue is when it's turned down really low, it will quit burning down the pipe and start out the venturi. Doesn't do it all the time though. Would shortening the 4in intake tubes help? I appreciate any info.
This 60in long 1in pipe with 2in tee. My orifice is a 57 drilled out to 1.4mm the 2 pipes out the side are 4in

Attachments

• 20230308_160257.jpg
    20230308_160257.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
The loss of pressure into the pipe looks to me to be caused by the unusual Venturi design. I have worked in the propane industry for 40 yrs and have never seen anything like that. The principle behind the Venturi is to have the gas jet pull in the air for combustion and the combination of pressure, orifice location and Venturi design will determine whether or not the burn functions correctly. The flame size should be adjusted by gas volume not pressure. If the flame is much higher at the beginning of the burner and weak at the end you can install a baffle inside the pipe to help with the mixing in order to balance out the flames.
A baffle is easy to make using a strip of sheet metal slightly narrower than the pipe ID and as long as the burner and twisted or kinked left-right-left right every 1/2" or so. Feel free to as any questions and I will try to help.
The links below are for Hones burners and parts and a troubleshooting guide that should help. They sell Venturis for pipe burners and have so charts for sizing.

Last edited:
The loss of pressure into the pipe looks to me to be caused by the unusual Venturi design. I have worked in the propane industry for 40 yrs and have never seen anything like that. The principle behind the Venturi is to have the gas jet pull in the air for combustion and the combination of pressure, orifice location and Venturi design will determine whether or not the burn functions correctly. The flame size should be adjusted by gas volume not pressure. If the flame is much higher at the beginning of the burner and weak at the end you can install a baffle inside the pipe to help with the mixing in order to balance out the flames.
A baffle is easy to make using a strip of sheet metal slightly narrower than the pipe ID and as long as the burner and twisted or kinked left-right-left right every 1/2" or so. Feel free to as any questions and I will try to help.
The links below are for Hones burners and parts and a troubleshooting guide that should help. They sell Venturis for pipe burners and have so charts for sizing.
Thanks for those links. They give me the idea to try. I had an extra burner like this so I cut the big end off and shoved it into the burner pipe and it seems to be working. It'll produce a nice blue flame at a lot lower level.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230324-134757_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20230324-134757_Opera.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: choochooman442
I got a decent picture today of the new setup.
Low and high

Attachments

• 20230328_161613.jpg
    20230328_161613.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230328_161707.jpg
    20230328_161707.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 19
On the original pipe... Did you drill holes in the end cap that the venturi was installed in ? So it would pull air into the pipe along with the gas ...

Never mind.. after scrolling back up and seeing the picture... probably could of put end caps on thhe T and drilled holes in them... Just open like that was probably to much air...

Reactions: newbiesmoker
Looking better. I would try to make an internal baffle to help even out your flames. The near slots are getting more gas hence the blue flame compared to the yellow at the end. Easy to make one. cut a long piece ( or a couple) of sheet metal that will fit inside the pipe and twist it into a spiral or bend it back and forth like an accordion and put it inside in order to help even out the gas flow.

Reactions: newbiesmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky