building a smoker- have a few questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
i am building a smoker out of a 55-gallon drum. i am going to lay it sideways, with a 19"x23" rack to place the meat on. i have the grill part built. now i need to build the firebox.
how big should i make it? i planned on connecting the firebox to the food chamber via a pipe, probably 6", with a damper in it (like the chimney on an old wood burning stove). i am going to use some sheet metal (diamond plate) to make the firebox, and to make a deflector plate to keep the temp even in the food chamber. i have the smoke stack just a hair above the food rack, on the opposite end of where the firebox will be. i used the hole already in the "lid" of the drum. i screwed a 2" nipple into the hole, and screwed a 90° elbow on it. i need to get a 2" diameter pipe to finish the smoke stack.
the only parts i have to buy are the smokestack pipe, the pipe to connect the firebox to the foodchamber. and a thermometer to add to it. everything else i got from work. i used 1" square tubing for the legs. 1" angle iron to make a frame for the rack, and expanded metal for the rack. i am also going to use 1" square tubing to hold the firebox to the drum itself. i will make a shelf to mount to the front also.
any suggestions on the firebox?

Howdy Chris.....i'm sorry that i have no idea's for you but sure sounds like one heck of a smoker once your done. Will need to put some photos in here in case others want to build one like yours. But really this little note is to say what a cute baby...

Bill

Not an expert, but I think you may need a bigger exhaust stack. I've built two of these and the first one I did much like you are, and it really hampered the airflow. With a bigger stack you can always throttle it down with a damper, but it's hard to open it up larger when you need it. I used 4 inch pipe for my second one and it flowed much better. In a 55 gal barrel, you've got a lot of airspace to to move.

Just my .02

KE

update: i bought a firebox. it is a char-griller one for one of their charcoal grills/smokers, i found at lowe's for $55. i bought a 4" rain shanty and a 4" pipe for the smokestack. i have to mount the smoke stack on the opposite end than i was going to. the firebox will be on the end i was going to put the smoke stack. so that works out i guess, bigger stack now.
i am taking the drum to work tonight to cut out for the firebox. i am going to cut two 3" holes for heat/smoke to enter the food chamber. i will be using two 3" pipes to channel it in there, with a heat deflector. we have a plasma cutter, an arc welder, and a wire feed welder at work i can use.

sound like a better idea, compared to what i was going to do at first? i will have pics when completed.

edit: bigger smokestack; taking entire assy to work to put it all together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky