brisket. What happened?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenbonez

Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
OK. I have done hundreds of racks of ribs it wasn't my specialty I did my first full brisket today and from everything I have read it should have taken somewhere around an hour and a half per pound on average. I prepped the brisket last night and rubbed it down thoroughly prep my smoker and it everything ready to go the brisket is about eight and a half pounds after trimming. I put it on at about 1:30 a.m. at 225 degrees. Thinking that I would have somewhere at least around a 12 hour smoke before it would be done. Well right around 5:30 a.m. my alarm goes off and says that the brisket has reached 165 degrees internal temperature. I rush out to the smokers thinking that maybe the probe is in the wrong spot and check it and several other locations to my surprise it's 165 degrees. So I quickly wrap the brisket in foil tenting it to get it to go to the 200 degrees for a nice tender brisket. Then at 7:45 a.m. my alarm goes off again my brisket is now at 200 degrees. I've done brisket Flats before and they have taken longer than this. The only thing that I can think changed was that this was USDA prime not choice. Does anybody know what I did wrong? I am freaking out right now because I have a brisket wrapped up in towels slowly Cooling.

Meat is done when it's done..
You was smoking at 225, you can't go much lower. Maybe prime had something to do with it.
Not unless you was smoking at a higher temp than what you thought.
@300, a 8lb flat takes me 6hrs usually.

Each brisket is different. I always use Prime grade. I normally finish a 12 pound to 18 pound packer brisket in about 12 to 13 hrs every single time now. And I run my offset smoker hotter than most. About 250 degrees. I don't even probe them anymore.

5 to 7 hrs smoke. Exactly 3 hrs wrapped in foil no liquid or anything at 250 in the oven. 3 hrs in cooler. Perfect every time.

Update: Thanks. I just checked it out. Turned out perfect. Nice and tender not falling apart good color good flavor all the way through. It just freaked me out a little that every place I went said about an hour and a half per pound and it was done in under 7.

Update: Thanks. I just checked it out. Turned out perfect. Nice and tender not falling apart good color good flavor all the way through. It just freaked me out a little that every place I went said about an hour and a half per pound and it was done in under 7.

Don't worry, the next one will probably be totally differant as far as time goes. Just when u think you've got it figured out, your next cook doesn't follow the rules.

Hey.. Hardcookin is right on the mark . Each piece is different. It's done when it's done. I had a 15 lb full packer that I put on my WSM at 10:pm. I figured 12 -2 o'clock next day for lunch. At 250. Well at 5 am the maverick said "guess what? The IT Is 180!!
I ran outside and checked it was close to done!
By 7:00 it was wrapped and in the cooler..
So her I am with this beautiful brisket and the family is fast asleep..
It's what it is.. Ps brisket and eggs ain't bad!

Hey.. Hardcookin is right on the mark . Each piece is different. It's done when it's done. I had a 15 lb full packer that I put on my WSM at 10:pm. I figured 12 -2 o'clock next day for lunch. At 250. Well at 5 am the maverick said "guess what? The IT Is 180!!

Sounds like a great breakfast Thumbs Up

A packer brisket is a big piece of meat and follows its own rules. Summer time they finish much quicker. Winter time when I've done them in -20 with snowing coming down.
I smoke them longer because the weather effects my offest.

And brisket with eggs is a beautiful thing lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky