Brisket Timing Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking in ft. collins

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Hi,

I am planning a brisket for Presidents Weekend (my brother is coming to town) and wanted to ask a timing question.

So in the past, I have used a different smoking method that works out pretty well, but I want to try Dutch's (I think it is his) method.

I want to use the smoker to get the Brisket up to 170 degrees and due to the fact that it will be cold in Fort Collins, I will probably use the oven for the finish to 190 part. Then it is 1.5-2 hours in a cooler (never done this part before).

So my questions are...

How many hours should I budget on the smoker at 200-225 degrees?
How many hours should I budget in the oven and at what temp?

Thanks in advance! I will post pics when I do it!

Thanks, John :mrgreen:

BTW, if anyone is interested, I will post my current brisket smoke recipe. It takes about 6 hours total. Let me know.

Hi John -

The general rule of thumb is 1.5 hours/pound but there is a phenomenon known as "the plateau" where the meat can sit at the same temperature for hours without changing at all. You may want to get started several hours eariler to be prepared for this. It is always best to let the meat rest anyway as you know.

I like to keep the oven temperature the same as the smoker - so again whenever you thow it in the oven the same or similar times apply. I guess some ovens don't go below 250 degrees so use whatever your low setting is and don't forget to wrap the beastie!

Do post your pix and your recipe we've always trying new stuff here! Good luck!

Sounds about right... It can rest longer too. If you put triple layer of foil put it in a plastic bag and wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler it'll stay warm all night. You could make it the day before it tastes even better if your pullin it. Soaks p all the juices and then mix in some dippin sause ............. mmmmmmmmmmm good!

Hey Ft. Collins, if I may add my $.02.

Smoke the brisket the day before if you can, even 3-4 days before. I believe that brisket tastes better reheated than the day of the smoke. Gives you more time also.

Save the juices and make some au jus to dip the brisket in. This really adds to the flavor.

Just an idea, good luck w/ your smoke

So as promised. Here is the recipe I have been using...

Apply Rub to 9-11 lb brisket up to 48 hours prior. Wrap tightly and refrigerate.
Pull Brisket 1 hour prior to smoking
Place Brisket fat side up on smoker for 2 - 2.5 hours (no temp check)
Wrap Brisket in heavyduty foil and put into oven at 300 degrees for 3 - 3.5 hours.
Pull from oven when internal temp hits 210
Sit (in foil) out of oven for 30 minutes.

That is it and it has done me reasonably well for the past 5 or 6 tries.

I believe that this method results in good flavor, but a less tender brisket so I am going to try the long smoke!

12 days and counting! :D

Well thanks you SIFC -

May have to try that with these frigid temperatures! Tried smoke last night and my eyes watered and it made my eyelashes stick together! brrrrrrr

Good luck on the brisket!

Smoking in Ft. Collins- The longer smoke time allows for the connective tissues to break down, releasing their juices and resulting in a tender brisket. If you're going to pull (shred) your brisket, the 210* final temp is fine. If you want to slice the brisket, remove the brisket from the oven at 180* and wrap and place it in a cooler and let it rest. When the brisket reaches 190* it will be ready for slicing.

OK, today is the day. I got up at 5am and pulled the brisket from the refrigerator. At 6am I started the coals and by 6:30 the brisket was on the smoker cruising at 225.

I am ready to post pictures, but they are too big to attach. How do you decrease the size?

Also, Smoke has been pouring over it since 6:30. In my old recipe, I would have pulled it off the smoker by now, but the internal temp is 141. Should I keep putting wood on the fire or just leave the coals?

Thanks, John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky