Brisket Style Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That is a beautiful smoke ring. I love me some TT. I don't think I'll do this, I like mine bloody. 130 degrees and sliced thin. But I gotta say it is an interesting method you used. Well done! Big Like.

Great looking cook ! I've done several this way as my wife feels the same way about the doneness. And she doesn't like a lot of leftovers.

I cook alot of tri tip and I been torn on this method for a while now. I have 6 or 7 in the freezer. Guess it's time to take the plunge and see for myself. Yours looks delicious and managed to stay juicy. Nice work bud
You won’t regret trying it, as I’ve said numerous times, I’m not a convert to “this is the way” but this will definitely be an occasional cook for a different flavor. It is unique, and it is absolutely juicy and delicious.
Looks great, nice job!
Thank you Gator!

Nice work, it’s always good to try new things for sure! It looked like to kept moisture so I’m sure it was tasty!
Thank you CS. It did keep moisture for sure! I think a danger would be too much longer and it would fall apart. But a little less and it would have been dry. It’s a strange thing. But very tasty and well worth going out of comfort zone.

That is a beautiful smoke ring. I love me some TT. I don't think I'll do this, I like mine bloody. 130 degrees and sliced thin. But I gotta say it is an interesting method you used. Well done! Big Like.
dont be afraid, your describing the way you like TT is the only way I knew to enjoy it until recently. It’s worth being a bit of a rebel! Thank you!

Great looking cook ! I've done several this way as my wife feels the same way about the doneness. And she doesn't like a lot of leftovers.
Haha, same deal with my wife. Absolutely no leftovers with this one! She ate most of it before I could put it on a plate!

Reactions: 912smoker
The ones I get from WM have a nice fat cap.
What about that one ?
Unfortunately this one had no fat cap. I have been having difficulties getting a fat cap, so I count my blessings finding a butcher that can get me the TT at all. I think a fat cap, trimmed a bit, would take this up a notch!

did you do yours with or without the cap?

All the TT that I have seen at WM have a nice beautiful fat cap

Attachments

• 20210829_134804.jpg
    20210829_134804.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: bauchjw
Love this idea. And it looks amazing. I wish TT would get more realistically priced up here. Over 20.00 a pound.

I’ve been wanting to try cooking a Tri-Tip like a Brisket ever since reading about it a while ago. It goes against my instinct, but I came across an older thread here that discussed it at length so I decided to get over my fears and went to my local butcher where I can actually find TT! I was happy I did and my wife, who doesn't like red in her red meat, loved it! Amazing taste, different, not sure if it’ll be standard for me, but worth the occasional fling! I highly recommend a go!

Salt, Pepper, EVOO rub, On pellet pooper with mesquite pellets at 225, pulled at 160 IT, wrapped, back on until IT was 190. Pulled, rest, slice. I think it needed a hair more-on the smoker or didn’t rest enough, but again, my family devoured it and couldn’t stop talking about how good it was.

View attachment 513389View attachment 513390View attachment 513391View attachment 513392View attachment 513393View attachment 513394View attachment 513395View attachment 513396View attachment 513397View attachment 513398View attachment 513399

thank you for your time!
looks great. We do ours reverse sear medium rare-ish. they are $7.99 when i csn get them.

Attachments

• tritip.jpg
    tritip.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: bauchjw
Pulled a nice tri tip from the deep freeze last night so I could do this today. Got distracted and was drinking beer. Woke up this morning to a room temp hunk of meat on the counter. Guess we have different supper plans now lol
IMG_20211016_075357.jpg
tenor (1).gif

Pulled a nice tri tip from the deep freeze last night so I could do this today. Got distracted and was drinking beer. Woke up this morning to a room temp hunk of meat on the counter. Guess we have different supper plans now lol
/QUOTE]

Oh no! That’s terrible! I think I would have cooked the meat for myself snyway🤣🤣

looks great. We do ours reverse sear medium rare-ish. they are $7.99 when i csn get them.
I think that is the go to, but I don’t normally do a reverse sear. Rare to medium rare is our standard, this is a fun way to go from time to time though!

Lol honestly had the meat had the least bit of cool to the touch so would I. Sucker was a good 70°. Oh well won't be the last mistake I ever make
🤣🤣🍺Beer regrets! Sometimes they are worth it!!!

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky