Brisket Heated Rest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Cooking up a brisket this weekend for Mother's Day and wanted some opinions on a heated rest. Plan on starting my brisket when I get home and cooking it overnight periodically checking on it thought-out the night. Did an experiment with my meat probe thermometer and my oven holds on warm around 155-160 so was tempted to do a heated rest on the brisket. Has anyone attempted this and did it turn out good and would you recommend. Is there a minimum amount of time to do it because it might only be a couple of hours that I would have to rest it. Is that a good temp to hold it at.

Reactions: JLeonard
I did the heated rest on the last brisket i did. Worked perfectly. It was almost 6 hrs. I wouldn't worry about the heated rest for 2 hrs. FTC for that short of a time.

My opinion
Corey

Reactions: Marknmd
IMO grate temp to long hold but if I was going cook till probe tender and only hold for a couple hours. I'd pull let cool a bit then wrap in towels/blanket till ready to slice/serve.
Don't know why but wrapped brisket in a cooler to me. Stinks compared to chicken or pork. To me.

I do almost all my briskets hot and fast (265) with a hold at temp (145 up to 170 depending on hold time) or heated hold as you call it for a min of 3 hours. Some will hold longer but my upper limit of hold at temp is 12 hours. Holding at 155-160 will be just fine and in fact you might start doing it more often.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yes, I've held it at 150 4-5 times with great success.

I agree with Corey above - might as well just rest it wrapped in a cambro if it's only two hours.

Another idea is to cook it on Saturday, then hold it all night in the oven.

Good luck

Not sure heated rest is needed. - BUT - If I did a heated rest, I would definitely wrap it.

I pulled a Pork Butt at 202F once...it was one of those meat cuts that got done hours early.
So...
Wrapped it and put it in a cooler and covered it with towels. 7 hours later it was still around 155-160F. Had to wear heat gloves to shred it.

What kind of smoker are you using?
Briskets, IMHO, must be done overnight in order to serve the next day when you want to.
Sidede box offset, don't plan on sleeping much. UDS or 22 WSM, set it and forget it.
I like the cooler resting method myself simply because the brisky will generate its own humidity while it keeps warm in the cooler. Yes the towels and the cooler will stink but it will not affect the flavor of the brisky.
I have not done an oven rest so I'm not going to give any opinion on that.

What kind of smoker are you using?
Briskets, IMHO, must be done overnight in order to serve the next day when you want to.
Sidede box offset, don't plan on sleeping much. UDS or 22 WSM, set it and forget it.
I like the cooler resting method myself simply because the brisky will generate its own humidity while it keeps warm in the cooler. Yes the towels and the cooler will stink but it will not affect the flavor of the brisky.
I have not done an oven rest so I'm not going to give any opinion on that.
It's a pellet smoker. A PitBoss Savannah so plan on getting it on around 4:30-5:00 PM Friday Night and it's not even that big of a brisket about 9.5 lbs before trimming. Plan on just setting periodic alarms throughout the night to check on it and probably running around 225 maybe 250 on my middle rack. Then when I get to the stale using the foil boat method. Then the heated rest. Get together is at 2 PM on Saturday. Definitely will have pictures of the results.

My oven won't hold at a temperature sufficient for this so I bought an electric smoker that was on sale just to do heated holds. On my first attempt, I held a pork butt wrapped in foil for about 3 hours and a brisket wrapped in pink butchers paper for about 27 hours after smoking overnight in my insulated gravity feed smoker.

The butt was as tasty as ever but the brisket was the best I've had in my admittedly limited experience with brisket (smoked brisket isn't a big thing around here). I haven't tried again since these were done to feed me during my on-going 6 week convalescence after foot surgery.

This long heated hold was a test; I want to be able to smoke my meat a day before I have big meals for friend and family instead of the day of or overnight the night before so I won't be so tired during the meal. I think it's gonna work well.

I do heated brisket rests all the time and they work great. I've done them in a Sous Vide at 141, and now I do them in my PK100 insulated electric smoker set at 155. I smoke the day before and get the brisket on the offset by 10AM, and they usually come off around 10PM (I do a no wrap brisket so takes a little longer). Then I wrap in pink butcher paper after it's done with a scoop of tallow under the middle of the brisket, and rest it down to about 165 to stop any carry-over cooking. Once it gets down to 165 I put it in the PK100 set at 155 and I keep a Fireboard probe in it to make sure the internal temp doesn't drop below 140. I've rested as long as 26 hours and never had a problem. I won't do briskets any other way now. The overnight hold is the way to go for convenience sake as it's ready to eat whenever you are, and no losing sleep required.

IMO grate temp to long hold but if I was going cook till probe tender and only hold for a couple hours. I'd pull let cool a bit then wrap in towels/blanket till ready to slice/serve.
Don't know why but wrapped brisket in a cooler to me. Stinks compared to chicken or pork. To me.
Dang what was I trying to say here?
Note to self. Stop trying to watch tv, drink a glass of bourbon, and post on internet!

I done various degrees of hot holding butts and brisket. This one from a few weeks ago turned out really well.

It's a pellet smoker. A PitBoss Savannah so plan on getting it on around 4:30-5:00 PM Friday Night and it's not even that big of a brisket about 9.5 lbs before trimming. Plan on just setting periodic alarms throughout the night to check on it and probably running around 225 maybe 250 on my middle rack. Then when I get to the stale using the foil boat method. Then the heated rest. Get together is at 2 PM on Saturday. Definitely will have pictures of the results.

I'm thinking if it goes on around 4:30-5:00 it's gonna hit the stall around midnight or so... Once you wrap in foil it will only take a couple of hours to reach probe tender...

Sounds like it's a flat if it only weighs 9 lbs... I would not trim any fat off that...

I would think about going nekkid all the way if your going to put it on that early ...

Alot of pictures upcoming just sliced this up and ready to head out in a few minutes. Trimmed it and got it on with a smoke tube around 5 PM yesterday. Then hit the stall around 11:00 and wrapped in the foil boat which is a method I really like now especially with a pellet smoker. Once I wrapped it, it was hitting 195-200 around 1:00 AM. Placed it in the oven on warm around 2:00 AM once the temp had dropped in it to around 165. Let it rest until 10 AM and sliced it. Will say did like the heated rest and will probably use that along with foil boat for now on. Just a tad bit disappointed the back end and the point facing the hotter part of the smoker dried out a bit and got a tad bit over cooked. Will put the whole brisket in the cool part of the smoker and maybe omit the smoke tube because I didn't really notice a big difference. But where do most people probe to check if it's done I was doing it where the flat and point meet and felt like butter when probing it. And I've got to figure out the trim think that henders alot of my brisket cooks too. Don't think I take off enough fat and fat cap. Overall it is very juicy and taste good you know I had to take advantage of the chefs privilege just some nitpicky things that I wanna figure out.

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_010500163.jpg
    IMG_20230513_010500163.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230513_010959967.jpg
    IMG_20230513_010959967.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230513_085012067_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_085012067_HDR.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20230513_085500308_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_085500308_HDR.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230513_085505566_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_085505566_HDR.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230513_092031674_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_092031674_HDR.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20230513_092013976_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_092013976_HDR.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230513_092203124_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_092203124_HDR.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230513_092210445_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230513_092210445_HDR.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 26
Alot of pictures upcoming just sliced this up and ready to head out in a few minutes. Trimmed it and got it on with a smoke tube around 5 PM yesterday. Then hit the stall around 11:00 and wrapped in the foil boat which is a method I really like now especially with a pellet smoker. Once I wrapped it, it was hitting 195-200 around 1:00 AM. Placed it in the oven on warm around 2:00 AM once the temp had dropped in it to around 165. Let it rest until 10 AM and sliced it. Will say did like the heated rest and will probably use that along with foil boat for now on. Just a tad bit disappointed the back end and the point facing the hotter part of the smoker dried out a bit and got a tad bit over cooked. Will put the whole brisket in the cool part of the smoker and maybe omit the smoke tube because I didn't really notice a big difference. But where do most people probe to check if it's done I was doing it where the flat and point meet and felt like butter when probing it. And I've got to figure out the trim think that henders alot of my brisket cooks too. Don't think I take off enough fat and fat cap. Overall it is very juicy and taste good you know I had to take advantage of the chefs privilege just some nitpicky things that I wanna figure out.
Great color and bark! Looks like it should be pretty good!!

Older thread, but I did it once and have been doing the heated rest ever since. Magic happens in 3-5+ hours.

My minimum oven setting is 170°F. On the low-mid rack position the temp is actually about 155-160°F. A wrapped 200°F+ brisket won't absorb heat in that oven. It will slowly release heat to the cooler oven over several hours. The temp difference is so little that it takes time for the brisket to release the heat and reach equilibrium with the cooler temp. Magic happens as the brisket rests and the temp slowly drops.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky