Brisket Buy - shocker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wish I could get Texas prices. Costco here usually has prime brisket for $2.99 lb. None to be had anywhere at the moment. But I went into a business Costco last weekend and found a few Choice brisket packers for $4.39 lb. Nope. No thanks.
Instead, I came home with a much more reasonably priced 13 lb. shoulder clod.

Reactions: tallbm and MJB05615
It's TX we keep the brisket rather than shipping it out... so i think :D
There may be some truth to that. if they are growing them there, I could see keep the stash for the locals.

You're lucky. Here in Ga. it was $6.99 /lb yesterday. Today it was down to $4.99, not too bad, but not in that "happy " place. IF it can get below $4 / lb, it would be tolerable.
Briskets have almost doubled in price in GA over the past 6 weeks

So I went and Kroger was out they only got half the shipment but should have more tomorrow. They are Choice whole packer Briskets for $1.67/lb .
Another smaller but nicer chain has Angus for $1.99/lb. I play to get 2 of the Kroger ones to smoke for my girlfriend's neighbors that have been mowing her yard while she has been working like crazy (she's a nurse) and I will smoke the Angus one for her and I to share .... if we aren't rained in all weekend. I'm keeping the angus one (or maybe 2 hehe) for myself anyhow :)

YES BE JEALOUS!!! Your tears taste like smoked goodies to me :P

What the crap, man! I'm only a few hours north of you and I found Choice crappy 12 lbers for $5.99/lb the other day!

What the crap, man! I'm only a few hours north of you and I found Choice crappy 12 lbers for $5.99/lb the other day!

Yeah its crazy at some places. I went to get my limit 2 briskets at Kroger but they were out. Meat guy said they only got half the shipment but "tomorrow" more were coming. My day was booked solid so I will have to check and see if any made it to when I visit. I also did not check the place that has the Angus which is what I really want. I'm just too busy all the time that if I miss something one day then I have to find another hole in my schedule on a different day to check which doesn't easily work out :(

WOW man. those are killer prices. My wife love brisket, hates medium rare anything. She used to travel a ton for work and I would gork out on blood beef all the time. Now its complicated...hers and mine, her longer with half the time getting tossed back on the grill. But I like the brisket too. so...

Sounds like we both have the exact same problem....makes it a challenge cooking meat for sure!

John

well, as expected it was pretty fatty - trimed over 4lbs of hard fat - froze that for my next batch of tallow but the rest looks good and thats better than no brisket given the times. she on a hot and fast track right now.

I used the last of mu espresso rub..sad they stopped making it - need a new hook up.
IMG_6118.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615 and tallbm
well, as expected it was pretty fatty - trimed over 4lbs of hard fat - froze that for my next batch of tallow but the rest looks good and thats better than no brisket given the times. she on a hot and fast track right now.

I used the last of mu espresso rub..sad they stopped making it - need a new hook up.
View attachment 446545

Oooh I hope it turns out well!

As for espresso rub, do u have the bottle with the ingredients label u can try to replicate it.

There is this cooking/baking ingredient called Espresso Powder. It is like double hard used espresso grinds that are to the point where they will dissolve or just about dissolve.

So if u want to try and make an espresso rub u can buy you some espresso powder (a little pricey) and mix it with all other seasonings listed until u get close. Remember food ingredients are listed from most used by weight to least used. Combine that info with homemade espresso rub recipes and u can likely get close or get something u really like that may not be the same :)

Reactions: sandyut
Not to knock Kroger but I find they like their briskets a bit much. You would be better off with a Sams Club or Costco brisket. You can get prime for the same price but a much better cut of meat. Kroger briskets are way too much hard fat and not enough marble for my taste. I started off on those kroger sale briskets. However I would pay twice as much to have a prime brisket. Inject it and make sure you wrap it at the stall to get an okay brisket. If your gonna spend 12-18 hours cooking a piece of meat make sure it is worth your time to cook it.
Wow. Sheesh, I honestly could not agree more. Took the words right off of my keyboard. Below is a prime brisket that I bought from Sams recently.

It costs a bit more than I was used to paying for their briskets. I usually pay around $3.30-$3.40 a pound for their prime briskets. This one was over $5.00/lb.

But it was "worth" it. I spent the better part of 14 hrs getting the result below. And it tastes better than it looks.

A lot of success and failure when it comes to brisket, At least in my hands, depends 99% on the quality of the piece of meat that I started with.

In short, most "choice" briskets that I have cooked, have not been worth the time that it took to cook them, they were so dry and tough at the conclusion of the cook.

For this reason, unless I can find a deal on a prime brisket, I skip brisket altogether.

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_8967.jpg

IMG_4592.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
In short, most "choice" briskets that I have cooked, have not been worth the time that it took to cook them, they were so dry and tough at the conclusion of the cook.

For this reason, unless I can find a deal on a prime brisket, I skip brisket altogether.
this was my first choice brisket. if we ever get back to some state of "normal" Ill be back to Costco Primes for about $3.49/lb. till then, im happy with what I can get. This one turned out pretty good for me. ran it at 275 too about 9+ hours. fork tender flat. the point looks to be highly marbled and I expect it to be like buddah.

Yea, brisket prices ave skyrocketed! Bought a Prime brisket at Sam's about 3 1/2 weeks ago for $3.24/lb. Checked today and it's closer to $7/lb. No way, can't afford so Ill stick to hamburgers for now. Hope things get back to normal, starting to wear me out.

I picked up a small, 12.5lb, briskey today at Fry's on sale for $2.49 a pound. They had a vat full of them, if there was more than the wife and I I'd have loaded up. Well maybe not, that brisky and a pack of chicken wings had my stand-up garage freezer back to fully stuffed, love it! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky