Brisket & Butt...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sethmckinney

Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Well I did a brisket yesterday, and it went great with that. I got it to 165 then wrapped it to 190 then let it rest for about 5 hours or so. It turned out great.

I did a butt, and it turned out good. However, it was still not fall apart pullable. It was very good though. I did the same as the brisket -- got it to 165 wrapped then got it to 190 and rested for 5 hours.

I might have put the thermometer in the wrong area of the butt though. Next time I will cook the thing longer. The blade wasn't protruding when I wrapped it. Should it have been?

Thanks guys -- you all are a great help.

I like to take a butt up to about 200*. I have even taken them a little higher with success. If you can't pull the bone out easily, it needs to cook more.

Seth, Wes has given you some great info-on the butt-200* or higher if you're pulling. 190* if slicing or chopping.

How are you letting the meat rest? Are you able to maintain temps above 140* during the 5 hour rest period? I know that I have kept meat hot for about 4 hours wrapped in several layers of towels and placed in a blanket lined cooler and covered with another blanket before closing the cooler. I also leave the meat temp probe of my Maverick digital inserted in the butt or brisket while it's resting to monitor the temps.

Internal temp is only a guide not the endall of gauges when doing BBQ. I do pull butts off of the cooker at 190 internal but I don't foil before that. Connective tissue needs time breakdown and by foiling you rush through stall. The stall is when connective tissue is breaking down, as the cells break and release their moisture the internal temp can stop rising but this when the magic happens.

By taking the time to allow the connective tissue to breakdown you can at 190 internal pull the butt off the cooker and let it rest in the dry cooler to finish tenderizing.

I find if you wait until 200 internal using this cooking technique during the rest the internal continues to climb and butt is drier than I like.

No matter how you do it the feel you get when you stick a probe or fork into the butt will tell you if it is done or needs more time in the cooker. There should be very little resistance (like going into warm butter) when you slide the probe into the butt.
Jim

I cook by feel, temp, time....My pork butts, stay unto the blade pulls. Briskets I go by the feel of the probe going in. If it slides in like butter, the brisket is done!!!

I typically don't put butts in the cooler. I get 'em up to 200 and pull them. I then let them rest on the counter for about 45 minutes and pull. I ususally don't wrap them either, unless they just won't cook and I'm running out of time. If I do wrap them, I open them up and let them cool for 45 minutes or so as soon as I pull them. I usually get great results. I have had good results pulling the meat with an internal temp of 190, but over the years I have come to prefer 200.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky