Brisket, burnt ends and pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cricky101

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Upper Midwest
I spent Friday this past weekend cooking a 13 lb brisket and an 8 lb butt. I have made one other brisket, but this was my first pork butt, and it definitely won't be my last!

I cooked with lump in my modded ECB Gourmet with a mix of hickory and cherry and it worked like a champ. I had to refuel one time, but otherwise it held temperature fairly well in less than ideal conditions (lotsa gusty winds). I'm still saving up for my WSM. Maybe next year :-)

I used only Montreal seasoning on the brisket (I really like that stuff!) and mustard and a store-purchased rub (Willy's, or something like that maybe) on the butt. Good mix of sweet and spice.

I only took one cell phone pic after I got everything rested, sliced and pulled (late that night) and I was beat!

a2974a18_photo1.jpg

Looks nice! How long did it all take? What internal temps did you achieve. Did you foil? Enquiring minds want to know!

Looks great! Nice job all around on that smoke!

If you want to get a WSM, start talking to neighbors, co-workers, and friends, mention to them that you would be willing to smoke some meat for them for an extra $20 per load of the ECB. I told my neighbors and friends to just drop a cooler off on Friday night with whatever meat they wanted smoked, gave them the option to put whatever marinades, rubs, seasonings they wanted on them; and told them to also drop off a 16 lb. bag of briquets. Then the next day I would call them and tell them when to come by and pick up their cooler full of piping hot cooked meat, worked like a charm! They got good food for cheap, and after 20 people did that I had my 22.5" WSM!

Looks nice! How long did it all take? What internal temps did you achieve. Did you foil? Enquiring minds want to know!
Put the meat on at 7:20 a.m. and it was 11:30 p.m. or so before everything was rested and sliced/pulled. I don't recall when I actually pulled the stuff off of smoker ... . I didn't foil the brisket and cooked it to about 190 before coolering. I did foil the butt at about 165 and brought it to 200 before plopping it in the cooler.

The brisket was a little long for my ECB, and I didn't want to char the ends, so I flopped it across a beer can chicken holder to raise up the center. When I checked it a few hours later it had shrunk enough to lay flat on the grate, but using the holder actually worked pretty well!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky