Brining Question with regards to Spatchcock

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Hello SMF:
So a co-worker yesterday asked me to smoke him some chicken this coming weekend. I plan to spatchcock the birds and smoke for a couple of hours and then hit on a hot grill for 20 minutes to crisp the skin. I would like to brine the birds first but my question is should I brine the birds then spatchcock and cook or should I spatchcock first, brine then cook? I look forward to your responses! thanks, SMF!

Happy Smoking.
phatbac (Aaron)

Your choice. Depending on the birds size, a pair of spatchcocked birds will likely fit in one 2 gallon zip bags. Or multiple birds will fit more easily in a bucket than whole birds...JJ

Hey, Jimmy's a Chef and I'm just a smoke engineer but I'd find it easier to cut open an animal BEFORE I brine it. You can always hinge it back if your brining bag/container doesn't cooperate.
I continue to wet-brine fowl (dry brine pork and beef) but usually always get it too salty so there's plenty of proof I have little real expertise here.

If you decide to halve them then save the bones and boil them for homemade stock.

Ryan

Reactions: sandyut
spatch first unless its a thaw-brine, like i often end up doing with em. thaw in a cooler.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky