Brine and wood suggestions for first turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokehouse

Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I plan on doing my first turkey this weekend and need some brining recipes. I also want to use a different wood. I have only used hikory. I have decided to use apple or mesquite. any suggestions of which one i should try first.

There are a ton of brine recipes here. Pick one you like and go with it. The thing about brine, is almost anything goes. I pour soda in my brine.
As far as wood goes. Unless you like stout, stick with the apple or hickory. I thought you couldn't get apple.

That was smokelover Gunslinger and I must have scared him away...Still don't think he can maintain temps with an uninsulated bullet type smoker at these temps....anyway I tried...

smokehouse... why not mix the hickory and apple 50/50...would be a safe choice for the first try at turkey

I agree there is always some way to do anything :)

This fellow was brand new to everything, first timer, and was doing a turkey for the bowl game :!: :!: :!:

Guess the guests will never tell us how it went will they :roll:

I was particularly worried about the bad bugs doing in the bird and making people sick if he didn't keep the temps up

Did my best for him, maybe a bit overly cautious though :oops:

I forgive ya Gunslinger. As far as the noninsulated bullet smoker. I have a noninsulated bullet electric smoker and all i did to get my temps up, because i live in Mich, was rap a blanket around the smoker. I have no problem with my temps now. I got the idea on this forum from someone. This forum is great.

I got a torpedo heater to put in my garage on Sunday to help try to keep it heaed. The highs here on Sunday is only 10 degrees. Hopefully it works for me. I'll be sure to send pics.

Smokehouse if you can get pecan wood where your at, it is very good for smoking any type of meat. I let mine season for a least 6 months before using,it. Its not a stout wood like mesquite and doesnt burn as hot. Puts a mild sweet taste on the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky