BREAKING DOWN A RIBEYE ROAST

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
I had recently baught a rib roast just shy of 18lb. As much as I wanted to cook that bad boy whole its just way too big for my family. It was just the 4 of us this year for christmas eve. I decided I would break it down into smaller cuts.

I separated all the different muscles. So i ended up with a nice rack of back ribs, the "eye", the cap steak or ( spinalis steak) and the complexus muscle that kind of looks like a vinison tenderloin. I cut 4 nice steaks off the "eye" from the strip side for grilling later. The remainder of the eye was used for christmas Eve.

The cuts.....
1222201839.jpg

The roast was cooked to medium rare on my UDS. Rubbed with SPOG and some carnavore black. Came out great!
1224202147.jpg

The ribs were also done on the UDS. Rubbed with Jeffs Texas rub and mesquite wood for the smoke. They also came out great!
1227201705.jpg
1227202019_HDR.jpg
1227202026a.jpg

The cap will be used for carne asada next week and the steaks will be grilled soon as well.
Thanks for taking a look!

That all looks amazing Travis!! The breakdown as well as the cooked stuff. I'd certainly not turn down a plate of that!! Interesting timing of this post also. I'm planning to order a couple more of the 103 sub primal rib sections next week and had considered breaking one of them down in this manner. To date I've only done roasts, boneless rib eyes, tomahawks, and of course the ribs themselves. This post kinda has me leaning heavily in the direction of doing this. Side note: when you posted your crispy carnitas, I did a beef version with ribs from one of the 103 sections. They were amazing!! I only had a 4 bone rib set though but it made plenty for dinner and for a Mexican themed breakfast the next morning. Just something to consider if you lay hands on another one of those roasts.

Robert

That all looks amazing Travis!! The breakdown as well as the cooked stuff. I'd certainly not turn down a plate of that!! Interesting timing of this post also. I'm planning to order a couple more of the 103 sub primal rib sections next week and had considered breaking one of them down in this manner. To date I've only done roasts, boneless rib eyes, tomahawks, and of course the ribs themselves. This post kinda has me leaning heavily in the direction of doing this. Side note: when you posted your crispy carnitas, I did a beef version with ribs from one of the 103 sections. They were amazing!! I only had a 4 bone rib set though but it made plenty for dinner and for a Mexican themed breakfast the next morning. Just something to consider if you lay hands on another one of those roasts.

Robert
Thanks robert! Probably be worth breaking one down. All kinds of things you can do with the seperate cuts! If my cap steak was a little wider I would spread some compound butter on it......roll and tie it.. then slice into steaks for grilling. I'll keep in mind the crispy carnitas for the next one. Had to be awesome with beef!! Glad they turned out good for you!

That's some nice blade work Travis! I break down 2-3 whole standing ribs roasts every year when the holiday sales come out. My wife not eating beef cuts and no company due to the pandemic I usually go with a two rib bone-in roast of about five pounds and the rest cut into 1&1/2" boneless ribeye steaks. I did one a couple weeks back and tossed the five remaining ribs into the crockpot with some onions and seasoning for 12 hours until they were FOTB, then used the meat for a CI pasta dish, was wonderful. Amazing all we get for a great price out of a sub-primal cut, only way to go. Odds and ends make for great cheesesteaks too! RAY
DSCN2559.JPG

Nice job Travis! Some great looking food you smoked, and some excellent info on breaking it down! If work slows down you can go into work as a butcher, think they could use some help!

Ryan

Excellent work Travis. Everything looks great, but I keep scrolling back to that Roast. The color is perfect and looks very juicy. Not to mention that the crust looks great as well. Great job. Happy New Year!

That's some nice blade work Travis! I break down 2-3 whole standing ribs roasts every year when the holiday sales come out. My wife not eating beef cuts and no company due to the pandemic I usually go with a two rib bone-in roast of about five pounds and the rest cut into 1&1/2" boneless ribeye steaks. I did one a couple weeks back and tossed the five remaining ribs into the crockpot with some onions and seasoning for 12 hours until they were FOTB, then used the meat for a CI pasta dish, was wonderful. Amazing all we get for a great price out of a sub-primal cut, only way to go. Odds and ends make for great cheesesteaks too! RAY
View attachment 477808
Thanks RAY! You got yourself some nice thick cut steaks out if that one. As far as odds and ends for cheesteaks I actually thought about shaving a couple pounds off one end........but then I remembered how heavy my old globe slicer is thats tucked away in the back of a packed full closet....lol. I really need to invest in a smaller one!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Very nice!
Thanks! Normanaj
Looks great Travis. I usually French the bones off the back and tie the roast up and smoke it whole or cut it into steaks. Thanks for the info!
Thanks! Ive dine the tied up way too. This way streches it out for a few meals.
Hello,SOWSAGE how much did you spend on all your meat? Here in England meat for some reason seems smaller and so much more expensive!
I picked this ine up for $5.99 lb. Always some good sales here around the holidays.

Looks great . That's really the only way I buy beef anymore .
Thanks chop. I still need to get a hold of a knuckle. I did notice I can get a whole Chuck roll at sams now. That might be next on my list.
Nice job Travis! Some great looking food you smoked, and some excellent info on breaking it down! If work slows down you can go into work as a butcher, think they could use some help!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. All of our processors around here but one are not taking in deer this year because they are So backed up. Ive done several deer for friends this year. Its something enjoy doing.
Excellent work Travis. Everything looks great, but I keep scrolling back to that Roast. The color is perfect and looks very juicy. Not to mention that the crust looks great as well. Great job. Happy New Year!
Thanks! Happy new year! The roast turned out great!

. I did notice I can get a whole Chuck roll at sams now. That might be next on my list.
Not sure if you ever look at this site , but I like to reference it to know what comes out of the larger vac packed meats .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks Great Travis!! Like.
I wouldn't even know the names of some of those cuts.
I always just cut the bones off in pairs, leaving extra meat on the bones.
Then I leave some of the boneless hunks as Boneless Prime Rib for Smoking, and some of them into +1" Thick Ribeye Steaks.

Bear

Nicely done Travis, Your knife skills are superb. I'd like to gnaw on a bone or two of those ribs

Point for sure
Chris

Not sure if you ever look at this site , but I like to reference it to know what comes out of the larger vac packed meats .
Thanks chop! Lots of good info there. I'll deffinatly use that!

Looks Great Travis!! Like.
I wouldn't even know the names of some of those cuts.
I always just cut the bones off in pairs, leaving extra meat on the bones.
Then I leave some of the boneless hunks as Boneless Prime Rib for Smoking, and some of them into +1" Thick Ribeye Steaks.

Bear
Thanks Bear! Your extra thick ribs always look delicious!!

Nicely done Travis, Your knife skills are superb. I'd like to gnaw on a bone or two of those ribs

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! Those ribs came out great! They didnt last long!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky