Black oily sludge

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Paulie Walnuts 440

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Hey all I have seasoned my smoker grates a while back but I noticed that even after I bring temps up and clean with a SS wire brush I have this oily like black sludge still on my grates. I have tried on one grate using a benzomatic torch to burn it off and it seemed to help a bit. Should I just try and scrape as much off and then re season?

Thank you I'll try it out..i think this oily stuff was from burning a dirty fire a long time ago and I have even used an onion and the onion turns all black it's like an endless oily substance I can't seem to get rid of..maybe a power washer would help?

Thank you I'll try it out..i think this oily stuff was from burning a dirty fire a long time ago and I have even used an onion and the onion turns all black it's like an endless oily substance I can't seem to get rid of..maybe a power washer would help?
Is it creosote from a bad burn after every smoke?

I believe at one point I followed some bad advice on burning a "dirty white smoke" fire to "cure" the metal and ever since then it's been there even after bringing temps up to 350 degrees, scraping etc. I was thinking of getting a large industrial black trash bag and some oven cleaner spraying inside the bag soaking for several hours then rinse with water then back in a hot smoker to burn off excess ?
Is it creosote from a bad burn after every smoke?

I use an MES40 and I have 8 grates. When they are all used I pop them in the dishwasher. Make sure you toss in a dishwasher soap packet into the bottom of the dishwasher (so it is in the first rinse) in addition to the one that is in the pop-open thing.

They come out looking about brand new.

Reactions: 912smoker
My unit is straight wood burner...i was seeing people use a magtorch 500,000 BTU and just burn that gunk off then re season?

I stopped up my dishwasher and had to pull it out to reset my temp switch that tripped when all the crud stopped the float from putting enuff water in, if theres any crud on it clean it off first ,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky