Beef Tenderloin - smoke or grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scott french

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
I'm going to prepare a beef tenderloin along with a spiral slice ham and cornish game hens. For the beef tenderloin, should I grill or smoke it? Either way, I want it to end up medium rare. My guess is smoking will take longer. I've never had smoked beef tenderloin. Which tastes better?

Reactions: JLeonard
I'd smoke the tenderloin if it were me.

I agree with Stu, SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker and smoke it. Went and looked at Jeff's thread on the beef tenderloin...what do you know, an ad popped up and he was making peach dump cake!

Ryan

I do mine like bauchjw bauchjw . The only way to do it.
I season with SPOG and leave it in the fridge for a few hours first.
It doesn't take as long as you would think. If I remember right it was about an hour and a half or so

Reactions: jcam222
Come by me in on some low temp smoke followed by hot sear. Only other option I’d use for a whole tenderloin would be sous vide with a reverse sear.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
Alright you have about a 50/50 split on smoking vs. grilling(reverse sear). I'm gonna toss out another option. Season with your favorite rub. Then wrap that sucker in bacon and cook it at 250* with indirect heat. Pull it and tent it at 120* and let the carryover bring it up to 125*. If you want true rare pull at 115*.

Chris

Reactions: bauchjw
All great suggestions above, below is a thread from the master of tenderloins Robert tx smoker tx smoker

Reactions: bauchjw
I'm doing one for Christmas as well on my pellet smoker and a couple of additional smoke tubes!

My plan is to tie it up with butcher's twine to help it cook evenly then...
  • Light mustard rub as a binder
  • SPG or Holy Cow Rub
  • Salt-Free Garlic & Herb seasoning (enough salt from above)
  • Smoke @ 225 until about 110-115
  • Rest for 15-20 min
  • Sear to get the crusty char 'til 120
  • Rest for 15-20, slice and serve
  • Fresh-prepped Chateaubriand red wine sauce
  • Fresh-prepped Bearnaise sauce

I marinate mine in low salt soy, Rainwater Madeira and minced garlic for 4 hours then let it air for one. I save some of the marinade for sauce (add tarragon and onion). I sprinkle black pepper on it while it airs..
I do a sear first at 600(+-) for 60 seconds a side. Sometimes I move them halfway through each side to cross sear it. Then I move it onto a high rack with a clay plate underneath until it hits 120 IT (RMR). Let it rest for a couple minutes and serve it like a Chateaubriand with Bearnaise (try whole green peppers in it) surrounded by puree and legumes. Some crumbled gorgonzola on top is a nice variation as are small portabellas filled with sauce and gorgonzola around the sides. If I'm making it for a smaller group I cut the tenderloin into 2-3" pieces and use the same technique.

That was a lot of words to roast a piece of beef but it works.

I like to s&p and do a quick pan sear all sides, then sous vide at 129.5 for 6 hours, crash the temp in an ice bath, then pat dry and smoke for a couple of hours, finish with a sear on the grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky