Beef on Weck facsimile

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
So I had a top round seasoned with prime rib type seasoning out of the SV hot tub. Long stupid story, but languished in the fridge for another day. It was getting late and rushed for time last night, and decided to cobble together some facsimile of a beef on Weck.
Had some brioche rolls, painted with some cornstarch solution, sprinkled with kosher salt and caraway, and popped in the toaster oven for 4 minutes.
Ran the beef thru the slicer very thin, soaked in the jus, and woofed it. Had thought about trying one with provolone ... maybe next time.
Lessons learned:
1. Top round is just too lean ... not enough au jus leftover, and still not tender enough nor easy enough to slice against grain with the slicer.
2. Really needs to be brisket, or at least a chucky.
3. Rolls a pleasant surprise. Given it’s almost impossible to find kummelweck down here, even doctored store bought is pretty good. Will make from scratch if/when have the time, but these better than good in a pinch.
4. It was still tasty and way better than my other choices available.
Sorry, rushing and neglected to take in progress photos.

2EED4FAA-0BCA-48CA-A635-626E66B93612.jpeg

It was getting late and rushed for time last night, and decided to cobble together some facsimile of a beef on Weck.

I'm not even 100% sure what you said here, but that sammie looks awfully good from my screen.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Thanks Chris.
I meant I didn’t have time to cook a real dinner, and this was ‘throw it together quick with what is close at hand’ though probably not turning out exactly how I or most would like.

Reactions: gmc2003
looks good to me! I'd have wolfed down a couple

Ryan

Looks good to me. For slicing when you have more time chill then meat first , even partially freeze then slice. You can warm it up in au jus then. It will slice nice and thin this way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky