Beef Clod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
I have a full beef that will be cut up in the next two weeks. One cut I see threads about, but have not seen in my area is a beef clod. What part of the animal does this cut come from?

Here you go... It's a great cut for barbecue. The flat iron steak is cut from the clod.
HGYDX.jpg

Have the Butcher cut Joints and Neck Bones in Fist sized pieces. To make Beef Stock, place a half dozen or so pieces of bone in a greased Roasting Pan. Add, 4 Carrot, broken in 3" pieces, 4 Ribs of Celery, same way, 2 Large Onion, peel and all, quartered, and a Head of Garlic cut in half across all the cloves. Place the pan in a 400°F Oven for 1 hour to Brown.
After the hour roast, carefully add everything frome the Roasting Pan to a 8 Quart Stock Pot. Place the Roasting Pan on the stove and heat it over Med/High heat. Once sizzling add 1 Quart of Water and stir scraping all the brown Fond up from the bottom of the pan. When Pan is clean, carefully dump the Hot Water in the Stock Pot. Add an additional 4 Quarts of Cold Water with a dozen sprigs of Fresh Thyme, a couple Bay Leaves and a dozen or so Whole Black Peppercorns. Turn the burner on High and heat until the liquid just comes to a simmer, 20 to 30 minutes. Turn the heat down as low as it will go and Simmer the Stock, uncovered, at least 4 hours but 8 hours is better. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow the Beef Stock to cool on the stove an hour or two. Using Tong or other tool, remove the Bones, pick any Meat off the bones, and Veggies and discard them. Carefully Strain the remaining Stock into another pot. Cover again and allow to cool a couple more hours on the stove then refrigerate. Alternately, submerge the pot in Ice Water to 1 inch below the level of the Stock. When cooled, refrigerate. The next day, gently scrape the solid Fat from the surface of the Jellied Stock. At this point you can add 1 ro 2 Cup portions to Quart sized Freezer Zip Bag, press out as much Air as possible, seal, press flat, label, date then Freeze these Beef Stock portions to be used as needed.
If the Neck Bones were meaty, all you need to make Beef Soup, is add 1 inch Cubes of Brown Beef and Sauteed Diced Onions Carrots and Celery to the Gallon of defrosted Stock. Heat just till it starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Add Salt or Beef Base, to taste. Cook Egg Noodles of choice to Al Dente, drain and rinse under Cold Water until cool to the touch. Add your desired portion of Noodles to bowls and laddle HOT Soup over the noodles. Serve...JJ

If you want to try something different and Delicious...Have the Butcher cut the Femur Bones down the center lengthwise. Have the Bone Halves packed 4 or 8 pieces per pack. When ready try Roasted Bone Marrow with Parsley Salad. Top each Bone Half with your favorite Rub or SPOG, and follow the recipe below.
Roasted Bone Marrow is extremely tasty and among my top 3 favorite appetizers or light lunches...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky