BBQPRO with Offset Smoker Box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobtia

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Central Illinois
I have read a lot of these threads and I am getting the feeling that it is very hard to get temps up to proper cooking levels in a charcoal grill with offset smoker box.

I also have read several threads on mods that can be done to help even the heat out.

I have extended the chimney down to grate level and constructed a fire box. On the next smoke I am going to use my digital oven thermo through a tater on the cooking surface to better gauge my temp.

My first question is will additional mods (baffle and tuning plates) help to increase the temps in the cooking chamber?

Second, will raising the firebox above the air opening of the offset side provide better air flow and in turn increase temps of my fire to raise chamber temps?

Jacobtia, welcome. Your answers are:

1-Place a pizza stone or a piece of metal in front of the opening to the firebox,this will help conduct heat down some ,so burning is reduced,

2-Yes, leaves plenty of room for air when fire is above the intake,also it helps you in removing Ashes.

3-Practice adjusting the heat a few times;(you must leave the Exhaust Open at all times-it only protects the interior from getting rain  and rusting).Try the Basket trick,seems it works.
grilling_smilie.gif

Hope I covered what you needed,remember to
icon_arrow.gif

I get the baffle idea which is what ur saying to do with the pizza stone or piece of metal.

I do leave the chimney open. Not all the way. Usually 1/4"

What I am looking for is someone with experience in getting temps up to proper cooking range 200+degrees on a barrel grill with off set smoker box.

I have a chargriller duo with sidefire box. I have done a mod to the firebox(bigger sized basket, raised up for clearance and better airflow) and have installed small angle with the oven rope around the lid to help seal the chamber. I have also made a small baffle and have lined the bottom of the smoking chamber with firebrick to help hold heat. I have no problem keeping temp in 0 degree weather it just uses more fuel. I can easliy get temps above 300 with using lump charcoal!

I have a chargriller duo with sidefire box. I have done a mod to the firebox(bigger sized basket, raised up for clearance and better airflow) and have installed small angle with the oven rope around the lid to help seal the chamber. I have also made a small baffle and have lined the bottom of the smoking chamber with firebrick to help hold heat. I have no problem keeping temp in 0 degree weather it just uses more fuel. I can easliy get temps above 300 with using lump charcoal!

Well I raised the grate for my fire box and devised a baffle/tuning plate out of the stock charcoal plate for the barrel side of my smoker (mounted it above the opening from the smoker box to the barrel and drilled 2 rows of 1/4" holes about 1/3 of the way down the plate, then 2 rows of 1/2" holes and then 2 rows of 3/4" holes). I gave it a little test run Saturday night when I had finished to see if these mods helped get the temps up. In testing the temps I used my digital meat thermo pushed through an onion (for some reason I was outta taters!). Here's what I got! First, the stock thermo is WAY off! The temp I got from my digital spiked to a max temp achieved of 285 degrees while the stock thermo never moved off the 150 mark. I played with the chimney plate and the air flow to the fire box and got it adjust to the point that I had it cruising along at 240 degrees for 2 hours straight on one load of charcoal (since it was a test run I pulled the fire box out. I wasn't patient enough to let it go longer. This was success enough for me to see a big change). Can't wait for the next smoke! This Sunday and beef brisket! Wish it was Sunday already!!!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky