BBQ Grillware Vertical Smoker Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokewhisperer

Original poster
May 27, 2008
Hey all,

I have had my BBQ Grillware Vertical Smoker (the “smokerâ€) for a few weeks now. I have only used it once when I smoked a pork butt and had fairly good results. However, I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t feel like I am using it as effectively as possible. In this post I need to ask about the vents.

I am not sure how to use the vents most effectively. I have smoked various meats on gas grills and weber charcoal grills with some success. Therefore, this has not been a big issue for me up to this point. The smoker has two vents on either side at the bottom and one on the top. I understand the vents allow air flow and more air makes the fire burn hotter. Please correct me if I am wrong. Therefore, as I understand it, the vents help control the temp of the smoker. The more theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re open, the hotter.

What I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really understand is the best mix of adjusting the vents for heat and turning the burner up and down. Also, when should I open or close them? Should they be closed or open when you begin, and should you adjust them over time? Overall, I just really donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know how or when to use the vents. When I used the smoker to smoke the pork butt, I just kept them open. Any thoughts about the best use of the vents and any tips or tricks on their use is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

smokewhisperer

You will find that the cooking temp is better controlled w the vents than w the burner regulator. Use the regulator to get in the neighborhood and then the vents to fine tune. You can't find the "perfect setting" and then leave it untouched because of such variables as wind strength and direction, outside temp, amount of food, etc. You can get a given cook dialed in and then pretty well trust it for that cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky