Batch of Canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ice cold bath and then off to the fridge to air dry about 3 o'clock, then probably get started early am around 7 ...
should have a nice pellicle by then ...
IMG_0928.JPG

rinsed off each piece, then cleaned out container, and added ice cold water and ice ..

well, 3 hr ice water bath ... now on rack, inside fridge ... should have a nice pellicle by morning .. will get the show on the road around 7 am ... that's like a 14 hr air dry in fridge ...
IMG_0929.JPG

Put it all on smoker at 7 am... actually is 39 degrees here in Brandon this am ...

IMG_0930.JPG

15.5 lbs on the smoker .. running hickory and maybe some oak as well .. smoker temp around 120 ish

Thanks chopsaw, still real cold out ( windy) ... feels like I am in a deerstand makin bacon ... lol almost 2 1/2 hrs in now .. haven't decided how long I will smoke it all yet .. with the wind, I closed up air vents in fire box,shut chiney off almost, and is running at around 120 in the smoker

mes would have been easier, but, I want full hickory flavor with some real splits ... old school

3 1/2 hrs in .. finally took a peek, actually the smoker temp is running like 100 - 110 ... have not put thermo's in yet ..
may continue to smoke like this for couple more hrs .. then bump up smoker temp and get an internal of 145 ...
IMG_0935.JPG

starting to get a nice color ...

Thanks bear ... thanks for the point as well .. really want a good hickory flavor .. if it works out .. will slice it up Monday evening ...

Thanks john, I let in the brine (wet) for 13 days, smoking it a lot today, although it's colder than a well diggers ass .. thanks for the point as well

Thanks john, I let in the brine (wet) for 13 days, smoking it a lot today, although it's colder than a well diggers ass .. thanks for the point as well

I heard it was cold in Florida!!
We got about 10" of snow yesterday & last night, got down to 22° This morning.

Bear

Wife and I grew up in Pa. . but I tell you bear, after being away from the cold .. you don't like it much .. unless you are on vacation,, or in a deerstand ... lol

Last edited:
5 hrs in now .. probes in ... may start to crank it up ... here is a look ...
IMG_0937.JPG

starting to be bacon.. lol ... temps are 126 and 133

Now after 5 1/2 hrs .. going to bring up pit temp to around 225 .. then pull off at 145 internal ... will be a good batch I believe ...

Here is the first 3 off the smoker ..
IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

looks real nice

Last edited:
Thanks zippy, If the inside turns out like the outside .. It would be a very nice smoke ... will slice up and vac pack in a couple days

here is a look at it all resting ..I cant wait to slice and vac pack this .....

IMG_0943.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky