Bark Didn't Bite

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just a 3.24 pounder, smoked in my electric smoker for over 4 hours.
That might not have been enough time. I just did a 3.5 pound flat and it took eight hours before it probed softly. As folks have said, cook to temp, then decided when to finish by probing.

Reactions: SmokeyBarks
I probed it at 160 degrees and wrapped it in non coated but her paper for an hour. I cut into it and it looked done, but no softness! Have you encountered this before?
At 160 you have not hit the stall. I agree with the others. Leave the fat on. If you trim as most do leave maybe 1/4 inch. I smoke naked and upside down (ok laugh) but the fat is between the heat element and the meat. The trimmed fat I place in strips on top over the leaner pieces. If needed, I jacquard below the fat or inject. It all depends upon the cut, grade and structure. I buy whole prime packers from Costco and they wiggle like yellow when finished.

Reactions: SmokeyBarks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky