Barbecue Chicken on WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rvachewlover

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Richmond, Va
Admittedly, I detest smoked poultry. I find the extra safety precautions and cleaning exhausting. Not to mention the visual aspect of seeing a smoke ring and being reminded of undercooked chicken from years ago (yes, I can tell the difference but the horror still haunts).

However, I love barbecued chicken; which I define as rotisserie style but over charcoal and not in the oven. In our neck of the woods barbecue chicken is a staple at church, fire, and civic fundraisers. (https://www.newsleader.com/story/en...thinks-knows-barbecue-born-virginia/90597948/).

I was wondering if anyone has barbecued (not smoked) a chicken on their WSM. My thought process is to remove the water pan and place the spatchcocked chicken on the bottom grate at 350. I'll place the larger top grate on the charcoal ring (a la grilling style) for a sear/skin crisping at the end. Perhaps drape some bacon on the chicken to get some fat to kick up the coals.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
Yea you can easily do this in the WSM. I don't know what kind of clearance you'll have between the coals and the set up you're proposing. You could always finish under the broiler in the oven. If you go to 350-375 range you might find that the skin is totally fine.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky