Bar-b-Chef offset restoration - any advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigspoody

Original poster
Apr 17, 2020
Melbourne
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the bbq smoker world. I've just picked up a Bar-b-chef offset after seeing a few comments and restoration post on here. Here are a couple of pics of the smoker and the mods i've done to date.
  • added baffler and tuning plates,
  • built a charcoal basket and
  • added seal to the firebox and cooking chamber lid.
Question i have is the bbq is still leaking in smoke sections, which will also be heat, does that mean i don't have a big enough seal or i need to reduce the seal in some sections, if i push down on the lid where i see the smoke leaking it seals nicely.. Also smoke is leaking around the side firebox door, any tips on how to reduce this? Do i add gasket seal to that door also?

Plan is to either sand or take it to get sand blasted and give it a nice coat of paint.
I'd be grateful for any tips or tweaks i should make to get this thing humming.
Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• baffler.jpg
    baffler.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 70
  • basket and seal.jpg
    basket and seal.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 68
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 69
  • rails.jpg
    rails.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 71
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 70
  • tuning plates.jpg
    tuning plates.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: kruizer
Welcome. I used my Bar-b-chef smoker last weekend to smoke three St. Louis cut ribs. Added about three small chunks of apple wood ever 20 minutes after the starter charcoal was white. No spritzing this time. After two hours mopped with maple honey glaze. Smoked four hours and two in the foil. Smoker leaked a little but I'm not worried about it. My fire box door hinges are rusted shut from no cover in California rain. Had it since new. You will get good cooks off of yours. I'll look into your upgrades. I plan on buying a new stick burner but I'll keep this one. A restoration is a good idea. Keep me posted. Thanks. John

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 55
  • bar_b_chef_offset_smoker-589e8b0c5f9b58819c6cd521.jpg
    bar_b_chef_offset_smoker-589e8b0c5f9b58819c6cd521.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 61
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky