Bacon question????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What is the difference between the texture of cooked hot or cold smoked bacon? Or is there a difference between the two different type's of bacons?

Answer to your initial question is that the texture for me isn't very noticeable if noticeable at all.
I smoke my bacon to an IT of 145F so I can eat it out of the package and while I'm slicing it lol :D

I compare it to store bought bacon and it's not much different in texture.
I have not cold smoked my own bacon so I can't speak to home cold smoked bacon texture.

I LOVE pulling this bacon from the package and just eating. I tell people it's "Bacon Cold Cuts" and they go wild over it. Also when bacon is is like this or is fried but still soft (not crispy at all) you can still taste the different smoke flavors.

When you fry/cook the bacon to a crispy consistency the smoke flavor is there but I noticed that the subtle differences in smoke flavor are not detectable. I've read in the past that no matter the smoke, bacon all taste the same smoke flavor... my tests say that is true but ONLY when you cook/fry bacon hard.

So there are some interesting reasons to do a hotter or fully cooked bacon vs a cold smoked bacon. Feel free to experiment, I guarantee you will love eating the results no matter what :)

Answer to your initial question is that the texture for me isn't very noticeable if noticeable at all.
I smoke my bacon to an IT of 145F so I can eat it out of the package and while I'm slicing it lol :D

I compare it to store bought bacon and it's not much different in texture.
I have not cold smoked my own bacon so I can't speak to home cold smoked bacon texture.

I LOVE pulling this bacon from the package and just eating. I tell people it's "Bacon Cold Cuts" and they go wild over it. Also when bacon is is like this or is fried but still soft (not crispy at all) you can still taste the different smoke flavors.

When you fry/cook the bacon to a crispy consistency the smoke flavor is there but I noticed that the subtle differences in smoke flavor are not detectable. I've read in the past that no matter the smoke, bacon all taste the same smoke flavor... my tests say that is true but ONLY when you cook/fry bacon hard.

So there are some interesting reasons to do a hotter or fully cooked bacon vs a cold smoked bacon. Feel free to experiment, I guarantee you will love eating the results no matter what :)
Great answer, is the texture simulator to prosciutto?

I was having a super bad flare up. My back and neck are completely 100% F.U.B.A.R!!!!! Or else I would've tried the hot smoked method, Next time I will for sure, as it sounds really good.

It was all I could do to cold smoke, slice and bag this batch. Cold smoking is SUPER EASY.

My wife was going to help me get the smoker up and running to temp but I was being a cranky dick I guess.lol So she said that she quits and went back inside the house.lol

She knows it's best to just leave me be when I'm hurting really bad. I swear that woman is the Saint of all angels for putting up with my shit all of these years. I got a good woman, she's a keeper for sure. I'm not so sure she would say the same about me with my broken down body. :emoji_grimacing::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Thanks for the great post.
Dan

Great answer, is the texture simulator to prosciutto?

I was having a super bad flare up. My back and neck are completely 100% F.U.B.A.R!!!!! Or else I would've tried the hot smoked method, Next time I will for sure, as it sounds really good.

It was all I could do to cold smoke, slice and bag this batch. Cold smoking is SUPER EASY.

My wife was going to help me get the smoker up and running to temp but I was being a cranky dick I guess.lol So she said that she quits and went back inside the house.lol

She knows it's best to just leave me be when I'm hurting really bad. I swear that woman is the Saint of all angels for putting up with my shit all of these years. I got a good woman, she's a keeper for sure. I'm not so sure she would say the same about me with my broken down body. :emoji_grimacing::emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Thanks for the great post.
Dan

No the texture is much more like bacon from the store. Prosciutto is nice and firm'ish and silky. My hot smoked bacon to 145F is not anything like that.

I have an electric smoker so hot vs cold is all the same. The difference is I turn the smoker on and set a temp for hot smoked haha :D

Having a good woman is a great thing, be sure you let her know :D

I may go buy some pork belly this weekend for bacon next weekend...who knows. St Louis ribs are on sale $1.77/lb and babybacks are for like $2.12/lb so might do ribs. Options are good :D

I know for sure I'm going to attempt 3 pounds of 73/27 all beef German Bologna as a bologna test run. I have the meat thawing right now. Likely to run it tomorrow or Sunday, we'll see.

Lots of smoking fun ahead of me... if my herniated disk stops acting up. My body is not happy with me at the moment either, lets both get well soon :D

The reason I asked about the Prosciutto is when I slice my cold smoked bacon it looks and feel exactly like Prosciutto. Cold smoking would be simple in your electric smoker. Buy a smoke tube or maze. I like the maze because I like using dust for cheese and fish. Check them out if you haven't already.

Good luck with your back, back pain is no joke. I've been dealing with it for 20+ years unfortunately.

Take care.
Dan

Reactions: tallbm
I'm smoking belly, generally, 6 hours per day (1 full tray of dust in the AMNPS) and 2 days smoking below 70 F... I've tried longer but, since going to pellet dust, I prefer the "lighter smoke" that doesn't over power the meat..
I can now taste the maple flavor from the dry brine I'm using... It's a commercial product... It does not have the the cure accelerator added to it.. I'm not interested in speeding up the curing process... I cure for 2 weeks.. Old world style of curing...
This turkey cure is one I'm trying now.... Same as the old stuff (I can't find any longer) only the nitrite is 1% in stead of the 0.86% the old stuff had... It's from Walton's... They sell it as a Turkey Brine but dry rub works just fine... You just omit the water.....
Use 9 grams per pound of belly for the rub... That returns approx. 200 Ppm nitrite, which is lawful according to the FSIS for a dry rubbed product...
7 grams per pound for approx. 156 Ppm nitrite.. You may have to add a little extra kosher salt.. which would be about 1 gram per pound...
Good evening Dave,
I picked up some of the Walton's Turkey brine as well as a 13lb butt and would like to make BBB per your dry brine method. What is your recommendation on grams per pound....7..9? 14 days with a flip and quick rub in the two gallon bag? Thanks Burlymanchef

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky