Austrian goulash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kuroki

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Saskatchewan Canada
Another favorite simple meal. Takes some time but minimal effort.

First off fry two pounds of beef in oil or lard. I used regular hamburger because it's all I had today. Anything works, but I think it's better with either a very coarse (1/2" plate) grind or hand diced into small cubes. Cook until browned. (Not pictured)
Next up slice 4 yellow onions into thin half rings. Fry at medium high heat in a bit more oil or lard. Add 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon fine black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda.
It may sound odd, but the baking soda helps break down the onions into mush, which is good for this!
Once the onions are cooked down and start to brown, as shown
IMG_20230112_175335122.jpg

Add the previously fried beef back, along with 4 tablespoons of regular paprika. Hungarian is fine, just avoid smoked paprika or the spicy spanish paprika. I keep all types around and personally use regular old grocery store paprika for this meal. Fry for a couple minutes and then add 3 cups of water. Reduce heat to a moderate simmer and leave for about an hour and a half, stirring occasionally.
Here it is shortly after adding the liquid

IMG_20230112_175840126.jpg

Will follow shortly with the finished meal

Let the meat reduce down until the onions essentially form a gravy. I forgot in the last post, add a shot of malt vinegar in with the meat and onion mixture.
IMG_20230112_191806354.jpg

Add to a pot of previously cooked spaetzle. I like to pull the spaetzle about a minute early and simmer the sauce in with it for a couple minutes. You can substitute with egg noodles if desired.

IMG_20230112_191942600.jpg

Warm, spicy, and filling.
Fill a bowl up and enjoy!

Looks good from my screen

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky