Anticipating winter withdrawls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used MES 30--and--Now MES 40.

I use them on the front porch, with a roof over head.

The south & east sides are open, but it works fine, as long as it isn't windy.

When it gets windy I just either put a wind block up on the one side, or box out my exhaust vent to keep the wind from sucking the heat out.

Where there's a will there's always a way,

Bear

I'm ready for winter. Going to build an insulated enclosure to keep the temps proper and to protect me from the weather.

Heck no! Stop smoking! That ain't gonna happen. Maybe I should quit fishing cause it's to cold,
icon_rolleyes.gif

I can use my GOSM "propane" year round   in Cincinnati  not quite as cold as MI. but still cold in winter..

No problems keeping temp.     However    a few  sheets of plywood and some hinges etc..  would probably solve your problem and give you a good "cover" for your smoker for  a lot less cost.

I actually smoke more in the winter than the summer months.  Just too busy in the summer months and I don't mind the cold.
Ditto here too, since I got my smoker in arch of '10 I didn't see (feel) too much cold weather. But I plan on using a thermal type blanklet, I got an old

movers blanket that I think will work. Lookng forward to shoveling & smoking !

That's an awesome set up you have. Simple and effective. I need to get started on mine when I'm in town so I'm ready when the snow gets deep. Either way I will get the job done. Just might have to get a few of those remote digital thermometer's hahahaha

I actually smoke more in the winter than the summer months.  Just too busy in the summer months and I don't mind the cold.
Ditto here too, since I got my smoker in arch of '10 I didn't see (feel) too much cold weather. But I plan on using a thermal type blanklet, I got an old

Be careful putting a blanket on a smoker.

A welder's blanket works good, and won't light up on you, but new ones are very expensive.

Bear

Be careful putting a blanket on a smoker.

A welder's blanket works good, and won't light up on you, but new ones are very expensive.

Bear
OK thx for the advice, I'll look for an appropriate type blanket.

Yeah I have a very small offset & it gets very windy here!!  I'm just pushing through & adjusting as I go. Never know which way it will blow. What I hate about the wind is it makes it hard to sit outside ( drinking ) to watch the smoker

I just recently started looking into adding a gas burner to the bottom of my firebox in addition to the charcoal/wood to help keep temps up.
Any thoughts?
Thnx!

I just recently started looking into adding a gas burner to the bottom of my firebox in addition to the charcoal/wood to help keep temps up.
Any thoughts?
Thnx!

I had a full-blown gas mod on my Brinkmann SNP for about 20 months. High output turkey fryer burner mounted to the bottom of the fire box close to the intake damper. The burner had a 1/4" stud for mounting to it's stand, so I just drilled a 1/4" hole to put the stud through, removed the gas line from the brass venturi fitting, set the burner inside with the hose connection sticking out through the damper so the hose/brass was not inside the fire box. Temps ran plent hot, in fact I had to use an old 6 quart pot to set over the burner on the stock grill grate as a baffle so I wouldn't burn the paint of the fire box lid, and for wet smoking which I almost always do. It would boil off a gallon per hour in summer, and more in the winter depending on temps.

Pretty easy mod to do though, if you have a fryer burner laying around...took me about 10 minutes from start to finish, then I spent a couple hours test firing it and running grate temp checks, etc. I had a full custom-built tuning plate at the time, and would go through about 10lbs propane on a 12-hr smoke @ 225*, more in winter, but my tuning plate was enherently inefficient...a trade-off in regards to fuel consumption for near full capacity usage of cooking grate space.

Just some food for thought.

I smoke all year long, and with my outdoor kitchen to shelter me from mother nature's wrath, my gas smokers can handle any winter weather she can dish out without even breaking a sweat. My straight charcoal fired rigs are a bit easier to find the thresh-hold...low temps are tougher to overcome...more mods needed to win that battle.

Oh, if you want a charcoal fired smoke with a gas burner for suplimenting the BTU output for temp control, just keep the charcoal fire closest to the smoke chamber...it may need to be a bit smaller than normal, but you don't want ashes dropping on the burner or it could plugg of while on low flame or when shut-dowm. The burner could also cause ash fall-out to become air-born and get carried into the smoke chamber...don't want ashes on the meat, so watch for that one.

Good luck and great smokes to ya!

Eric

Any thoughts?
Thnx!
Yes

1e2d9ae3_2030852860041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

Bear loves when I throw my Flame pics around.
Hey SQWIB !!!

What did I tell you about showing off that beautiful blue flame!!!!!

You're gonna make Amerigas jealous!!

Bear

HAHAHAHA Nice

I see you have the flames coming out of the bottom so they don't become affected by falling ash.

I'll be putting mine in if I ever get home long enough to do it. but when business is calling I run :)

Last edited:
John to get back to your statement in the Post. "Unfortunately I'm running a thin skinned offset that, I'm sure once the snow flies, won't be capable of keeping temp."

You wont know till you try. Give it a shot and do as others have suggested with blankets and wind breaks.

Try adding thermal mass as well, like cobblestone or cast iron and such.

Try burning wood along with lump and charcoal.

Unless you are looking for an excuse to buy a new smoker...then by all means go for it!

I have a GOSM Gasser, I use on the deck all winter and have never had problems with maintaining heat, however this will be my first winter with "Frank"

You could set it up as a gasser and place turkey fryer burner or similar in the firebox, just make sure to have the venturi is OUTSIDE the firebox and use a small dutch oven for wood chunks.

As far as the pipeburners go...

Heres a pic of a burner that sits under the reverse flow plate, the first pic is testing the burner before the plate was installed.

16d4853a_2189273030041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

here it is under the RF Plate

aa9dc94f_2378490450041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

78082579_2170680880041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky