Advice on a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2Mac

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 30, 2020
Ontario, Canada
With fathers day coming up I was thinking of asking my better half for a new smoker.
I love my charcoal/ wood burning unit that I have but I have been really considering getting an electric smoker of some kind just to experiment with.
I'll be honest I haven't done much research on brands and styles so I'm going to put it out there to the community that I've become comfortable with and their opinions.
Any suggestions on a mid range unit would be appreciated. My most important requirement is reliability. I'm not interested in spending money on something that lets me down time after time or completely breaks down in a year or so. I look after my stuff so I want it to last.
I'm open to any suggestions.
Thanks

I have 2 Smokin-It smokers. They cost more than the ones you find in big box stores. But they are well insulated and made of solid stainless steel. Warranty service is great with quick responses by owner. Wood is used in ounces, 4-6 for pork butts.
I have smoked in 10 degree weather with no problems. They are very efficient. Truly a LAZY-Q set and forget smoker.
Mine are analog and I don't miss the digital options.

Attachments

• Jerky Hanging.jpg
    Jerky Hanging.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Roasted turkey 4-18-2020.jpg
    Roasted turkey 4-18-2020.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 11
  • #3 on cart.jpg
    #3 on cart.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 11
I have a masterbuilt electric smoker (mes 30) for about 6 years now with no problems, knock on wood. if you plan on smoking lots of meat at a time check out the mes 40. these are not the most expensive smokers out there but for what I do it works great. check out bearcarvers step by steps he has a nice write up on the masterbuilt smokers.

Any suggestions on a mid range unit

Mid range can mean different things to different people. That said, for electric mid-range smokers I enthusiastically agree with Lonzino....Smokin' It makes great smokers. In my mind they are comparable to CookShack smokers but much less expensive. Mine has lived outdoors for over 6 years with nothing more than a grill cover and has not given me any trouble at all.

Lots of folk on here love their MES smokers so you might want to look at some of those as well.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Reactions: 2Mac
I don't travel down the electric avenue, but just a word of caution. No smoker comes with a 100% guarantee that it will work as advertised right out of the box, and the more bells and whistles that are built in - the greater the risk that something can go wrong. Some folks have gone years without any issues, and some have issues on their maiden voyage.

Chris

I have 2 Smokin-It smokers. They cost more than the ones you find in big box stores. But they are well insulated and made of solid stainless steel. Warranty service is great with quick responses by owner. Wood is used in ounces, 4-6 for pork butts.
I have smoked in 10 degree weather with no problems. They are very efficient. Truly a LAZY-Q set and forget smoker.
Mine are analog and I don't miss the digital options.
Thanks.. Much appreciated. I will look into these.

I have a masterbuilt electric smoker (mes 30) for about 6 years now with no problems, knock on wood. if you plan on smoking lots of meat at a time check out the mes 40. these are not the most expensive smokers out there but for what I do it works great. check out bearcarvers step by steps he has a nice write up on the masterbuilt smokers.
Thanks for this. I have looked at these a little bit. I will do more research.

Mid range can mean different things to different people. That said, for electric mid-range smokers I enthusiastically agree with Lonzino....Smokin' It makes great smokers. In my mind they are comparable to CookShack smokers but much less expensive. Mine has lived outdoors for over 6 years with nothing more than a grill cover and has not given me any trouble at all.

Lots of folk on here love their MES smokers so you might want to look at some of those as well.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Thanks for the advice.. I appreciate it

I don't travel down the electric avenue, but just a word of caution. No smoker comes with a 100% guarantee that it will work as advertised right out of the box, and the more bells and whistles that are built in - the greater the risk that something can go wrong. Some folks have gone years without any issues, and some have issues on their maiden voyage.

Chris
Thanks. I get that anything electric/electronic has a greater risk of breaking down but I figured by asking I'd weed out researching units that are a complete waste of time. Who better to ask than the guys and gals who use them.I appreciate the comments.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky