Advice needed on this very small and lean brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dirtylarry

Original poster
Sep 4, 2021
I recently bought 1/2 a cow and was excited, especially about having a brisket to cook. However, once I got the brisket and looked at it I was not pleased at all. It ended up being just over 8 lbs, the flat is very, very thin, and there appears to be virtually no fat cap on it.

I want to throw this in my UDS tomorrow but I'm very nervous, don't want to end up with shoe leather. I would have liked to make beef tallow and inject into the flat to help out some but I have no beef fat. I do, however, have some rendered bacon fat if that could be a viable substitute.

Basically, if you guys and gals have suggestions I would really appreciate them.

Update: So I thawed the brisket and removed it from the cryovac and needless to say I am livid. Not only did the brisket not come with any fat cap, but it also has gashes from where the butcher had cut into it either in a rush or by not knowing what they're doing. The worst part, and why I'm so mad is the fact that I found over a dozen beard hair clippings scattered over one side. I know what they look like because I trim my own beard(they're not mine, I assure you). I had to pluck them out one by one but I'm relatively certain I got them all.

After all of that, I went with mustard slather and a salt free rub and then came back with a salt shaker afterwards so I could control the amount of salt on each part of the brisket since the flat was so thin. It's in my UDS right now at about 250-260. Going to wrap at about 160 with a stick of butter as recommended below and go to 200, unwrap and tighten the bark. I'll report back with results.

PXL_20210925_154401064.jpg
PXL_20210925_154349469.jpg

Last edited:
I would season it with SPOG and put it in your UDS at 225-250. When the IT gets up to 160-180 I would wrap it with a stick of butter. Take it to around 200 and unwrap to reform some bark. Another option would be inject with some beef bouillon. You could also keep it in a foyal pan so no juice escapes just don’t let the temp get to high that it burns. You almost need a little liquid in the pan before you start. Either of these options should produce something worth eating. Our butcher trims our briskets similarly and they turn out good.

My personal preference would be to stay away from bacon fat .
I would inject with beef broth or beef base like suggested above , just be aware of your sodium content . I like to inject briskets across the grain . I think it spreads out more that way . Just my opinion .
I would wrap around the temp suggested .

I just did one that had a really thin flat . I didn't inject or wrap . Testing out a new pellet grill and I wanted a base line on how it cooks . Came out fine , but wrapping would have helped it in spots .

I would inject with beef broth or beef base like suggested above , just be aware of your sodium content . I like to inject briskets across the grain . I think it spreads out more that way . Just my opinion .

I just did one that had a really thin flat . I didn't inject or wrap . Testing out a new pellet grill and I wanted a base line on how it cooks . Came out fine , but wrapping would have helped it in spots .
That’s a great point on the injecting! I never really considered that and it makes a lot of sense. Doing it from now on!

Reactions: chopsaw
They cook a bit quicker, (not always a stall) than the big ones and you may have to pay closer attention to your internal temps.

The briskets from my Dexter cattle (a small breed) weigh about 6 lbs and they usually turn out good. I don't inject though; just rub and then wrap in butcher paper at 150-160F

I would season it with SPOG and put it in your UDS at 225-250. When the IT gets up to 160-180 I would wrap it with a stick of butter. Take it to around 200 and unwrap to reform some bark. Another option would be inject with some beef bouillon. You could also keep it in a foyal pan so no juice escapes just don’t let the temp get to high that it burns. You almost need a little liquid in the pan before you start. Either of these options should produce something worth eating. Our butcher trims our briskets similarly and they turn out good.

Thanks for this! Doing the wrap/butter/unwrap method today. I posted an update up top.

Thanks for the advice, posted an update up top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky