20LB Turkey -- Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
did you brine and/or inject the bird?

brining REALLY helps out with the moisture AND taste of the bird

least it did for mine thursday.........one of the best ever.......or so folks told me........i can take or leave turkey........but i like to make it for others

d88de

Wooo...not bad then eh? next time pick a 12Lb or so bird, and then you'll be settin' pretty. 20 Lbs is a bigazz bird! I din't think the skin would crisp, but put in in tomarrow!
And get a 'mometer for the smoker temp.

OK. Here our my 2 pictures of my bird that almost had me jump in front of a train
wink.gif

19f4d449_vbattach15826.jpg

96308bfc_vbattach15827.jpg

I did both. I think it was just in to long even though it only took 4hrs to cook a 20LB bird. Whats up with that??????

Was that a coke up the butt bird or just sprayed with coke and apple juice?

Next time try the brine! It makes it moist for days! I still can't get over 5 minutes per pound! That's got to be a record!

That was just 1 bottel of coke and some apple juice in the pan. I didn't want to keep opening the door to spray because i was worried I would loose tomuch heat. I did also inject your recipe

Soo...flavor OK and completely done eh? Man I wonder what temps you were actually at. Let us know when you get another thermom for the grill temp, eh?

Will do. I just don't understand how the temp could be hotter then the unit can put out?

Wow I need advise. Put my20 pounder on this morn at 2am. To be ready for lunch.
Two hours later it was at 160 degrees at 250 . I cut it back to 235 and it's now at 181. I can't figure why the temp increased so fast, help

I have been smoking brisket and turkeys for over 22 years now my best friend taught me before he passed away, but anyway I have smoke a 20 pound turkey every thanksgiving and Christmas for my family and their is 20 of use. I have a cast iron smoker fire box on this side away from the meat. I build my fire so it ranges from about 225 to 250 and I keep it that way threw out the cooking process, then I lay my turkey in and next to the turkey I have a old bread pan you know  deep one fill it full of water this help keep moisture in the air and around the turkey and also I have a spray bottle that I spray on the turkey every so often maybe once a hour. I just moisten the bird don't drown it, I let it cook up to 8 to 12 hours, I use either oak wood and some hickory chips or pecan wood and even black walnut wood, sometimes I might cook the bird 4 to 6 hours and then finish in the oven on a broiler pan with water in the bottom of it. I don't use a rub or anything like that I put some Cavender's, salt and pepper and a little garlic powder on and that's it, Might not be the best way but we all like.

Good day after thanksgiving, I just want to thank all for the iformation in this thread. I was able to successfully smoke a 20 lb turkey yesterday and it was awesome. I thawed it in the fridge, injected with a cajun injection, rubbed with a belgian white rub and did it "beer can" style with orange juice. It actually took only 3.5 hours at temps between 300 and 350 using the occasional apple chunk. I was using my Masterbuilt charcoal/propane vertical smoker with a very simple modification to the chip pan and replacement bayou classic regulator. Without these posts I don't think I could have pulled it off and we thank you!

Good day after thanksgiving, I just want to thank all for the iformation in this thread. I was able to successfully smoke a 20 lb turkey yesterday and it was awesome. I thawed it in the fridge, injected with a cajun injection, rubbed with a belgian white rub and did it "beer can" style with orange juice. It actually took only 3.5 hours at temps between 300 and 350 using the occasional apple chunk. I was using my Masterbuilt charcoal/propane vertical smoker with a very simple modification to the chip pan and replacement bayou classic regulator. Without these posts I don't think I could have pulled it off and we thank you!
Wow!  that looks beautiful and mighty Tasty! Cadillacman!  I will be smoking my first one this Sunday. wish me luck and thanks for the View!.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky