2009 Tomatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice list tender loins.I still use a table mounted hand squisher for the puree that i can-usualy 70% puree and 30% whole,but i think i will check out a Spremy.I grow 20 Joe Parker last 5 years or so and they have been the most productive and best tasting green chile i have grown here.I roast and freeze 40 pounds from 20 plants every year.Just rained yesterday for first time in week, garden loved it.

Any intel from the southern folk.....

This is my first cutworm damage in 20 years.Probably hard to see, but right in middle of pic the stem was severed by the bugger...Dug in soil and found him .Funny thing-neighbor had same thing happen....Critters!

Wow sure hate to see that. I always save the cardboard from toilet paper and paper towels.Cut a slit up the side and wrap around the stem, it also helps to hold the water in.

This is my second year gardening and I had cutworms last year. I did this same trick this year and did not suffer a single plant lost to cutworms so far.

I was lucky.This was two weeks ago and no more damage for me or neighbors garden.Forgot about paper towel carboard for collars-thanks mco.

Well they are coming on strong. Been picking for about 2 weeks now. Canning salsa tonight. Will post pics later. Shoud have worn gloves, hands on fire from the japs...

Tried a new canned salsa recipe. First batch. tasted pretty good, some kick to it. More like a pico I guess. Could have put it in the blender.

Those maters look so good. I can only hope my plants yield fruits as good as that! Salsa looks yummy too ... definitely beats store bought!

Well, here comes the fungus. I am starting to get light colored spots, about 1/8th of an inch in size all over the leaves of my tomatoes.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

Probably due to all the rain we have had. I tried some Daconil, but so far, no good. This does not hurt existing tomatoes but the plant will eventually deteriorate and die.

My brother swears by Baking Soda spray.I tried a milk spray on pumpkins last year and seemed to help(powdery mildew).

Both neighbor and i had septoral spot in late august last year.

With rain here, i think i might start Baking Soda this weekend.
My neighbor has used NEEM oil, but as you mentioned some of this is an eventuality.

Here is the recipe. It has had really good reviews and I cracked open one tonight and it is good....Got it off of recipezaar...Someone wanted a salsa recipe without the vinegar...say they tested PH level and it's fine...Here is the link to read the reviews...

http://www.recipezaar.com/Canned-Bottled-Salsa-97196

Ingredients
Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
  2. Blanch the tomatoes by dropping them into the boiling water for one minute. You will need to do them in batches.
  3. Transfer them to a large bowl or sink full of cold water.
  4. Fish them out and peel them.
  5. Chop them coarsely and sprinkle with pickling salt in layers as you go - I try to use about 4 tablespoons.
  6. Put them in a strainer and set in a cool place (but NOT the fridge!) to drain for several hours.
  7. When you are ready to procede, put all the canning jars in a large canner full of water to cover by one inch, and bring to a boil.
  8. Boil for 10 minutes.
  9. If your water is very hard, add a shot of vinegar to the water before it boils (to prevent lime build-up on bottles).
  10. Meanwhile, peel and chop the onions.
  11. Peel and deseed the peppers, and chop them.
  12. Peel and mince the garlic.
  13. Mix the tomato paste with cupful of the tomatoes until it is lump-free.
  14. Mix all the ingredients except the lime juice in a large kettle or pot.
  15. Bring the salsa to a boil.
  16. Lift the sterilized jars from the boiling water bath and empty them.
  17. (Most should be emptied into the sink, so the boiling water bath doesn't overflow when they go back in).
  18. Add 3 tbsps lime juice to each jar.
  19. Pack the salsa into the jars.
  20. Wipe rims, and seal according to manufacturer's instructions.
  21. (Generally, boil lids and rings for 5 minutes).
  22. Return the bottles to the boiling water bath and process them for 20 minutes. It may be necessary to do this in two batches; put as many in the canner as you are able to; when they come out add the next batch of jars to be sterilized while you fill the first set. Take them out and fill them as the first set of filled jars is being processed.
  23. Remove, allow to cool, and check seals

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky