20 lb Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I dont add fat, I add untrimmed pork shoulder and not that much about 5 lbs pork shouler and 15 lbs deer. So thats umm 25% pork. It turns out great not fatty at all. The pork helps with consistancy, it helps hold it together, without the pork it turns out a little dry and crumbly to me.

We usually use 60%venision 40%porkbutt.I think we could get away with a little less pork,but that is just how we have made it and it is never dry.Also just last year we used some of that high temp cheese in it and it was really,really good.We used pepper jack.Not sure if you guys are familiar with the cheese,but it is a must try.It is kinda expensive 7-8 dollars a pound,but well worth it.

Do you just chunk that up and grind it with your meat?

How much meat will a pound of cheese go into?

Yeah what archernut says.I have gotten it in one pound bags.They say to use 1 pound cheese to 10 pounds meat.I really enjoy the summer sausage this way.Like I said if you haven't made it like this you won't regret doing it.My favorite is the pepper jack.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky