1st fullsized brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Depending on how well that cooler is insulated and how many towels you put on top of it, I think it would stay warm for you. It looks like you nailed it.

Reactions: Motorboat40
Do you have a wired temp probe in the meat so you can see the IT with the cooler lid closed? It's important to maintain the temp at 150º or above for safety.

Oh yeah I'm having to stand guard by the cooler the vultures (wife and kids) saw it this morning when I was wrapping it up for the cooler
Depending on how well that cooler is insulated and how many towels you put on top of it, I think it would stay warm for you. It looks like you nailed it.
It's a good cooler not a yeti but still keeps ice better than my cheap coolers from Walmart I have owned. I put 1 towel on the bottom and 3 towels doubled over on top and a fleece blanket on top of the towels, pretty much filled the rest of the open space in the cooler. Hope that will do her. I just have to resist the urge to cut off a slice for lunch today so I dont loose my heat in the cooler.
20200405_103554.jpg

Reactions: RichGTS
Do you have a wired temp probe in the meat so you can see the IT with the cooler lid closed? It's important to maintain the temp at 150º or above for safety.
I do have one an ink bird I could put in the cooler with the lid close I can read it on my phone. Should risk opening the cooler and losing my heat? Maybe just stick the probe thought the foil and cover and close the cooler back up real quick?

Given you are attempting to hold it for 6 hours I probably would do just that. Stick it through the foil and into the meat.

Looks to me like the trim and cook both came out just fine. I routinely rest brisket 4 hours, so at the 3 hour mark check your internal temp. You may need to rotate the pouch into a 180° oven for 30 or 40 minutes. Just stay north of 140°, and you will be good. Sometimes I'll put a foil wrapped fire brick in my hot box, of a gallon jug of hot water. One time I saw a guy at a charity competition use an electric blanket in his cooler.

When you foiled, is the fat cap up or down? If you need to use the oven for a bump in temp, you can always turn the brisket over in the pouch. This will help as it re-absorbs the foil juices.

Looks to me like the trim and cook both came out just fine. I routinely rest brisket 4 hours, so at the 3 hour mark check your internal temp. You may need to rotate the pouch into a 180° oven for 30 or 40 minutes. Just stay north of 140°, and you will be good. Sometimes I'll put a foil wrapped fire brick in my hot box, of a gallon jug of hot water. One time I saw a guy at a charity competition use an electric blanket in his cooler.

When you foiled, is the fat cap up or down? If you need to use the oven for a bump in temp, you can always turn the brisket over in the pouch. This will help as it re-absorbs the foil juices.
Fat Cap is up. Its sitting steady at 154 no it's been in the cooler for 3 hrs now. I did put the probe in about 45 mins ago the teof was 158 then so may need to give it lite temp bump at the end. Will be a good excuse to slice a little peice of and taste it if I do have to give it some heat.

It's hard to resist sampling, I'm guilty of doing it all the time.

A couple of tips for serving would be to decant the foil juices and de-fat them. You can thin it out with some beef broth or aujus bullion if you have it, or some hot water if it's a little salty. It's really good to serve on the side OR if you have a shallow tray you can dunk slices in the aujus. Next, try to only slice (against the grain) what will be plated, slices from the flat will begin to dry out very quickly. Also, make your first test slice from the flat about 3/8" thick. If you cooked it too tender and the slice falls apart, you may need to slice a little thicker. If it's not as tender as you want, try a 1/4" thick slice. Lastly if you are not dishing up directly from the cutting board, but from a platter or something.... fan out your slices and brush them with the foil juices. (this is a practice box, but you get the idea)
pfreXMW.jpg

It turned out great I did have to put it back in the oven at 180deg for about 40 min once to keep the temp up but it was still very juicy when I sliced it up.
The wife made up some coleslaw and twice baked mashed taters with ranch dip seasoning mixed in and cheese on top, and I cooked up some kale and mustard greens for sides. Will be making some chilli from the leftovers very soon like some suggested.
20200405_175433.jpg
20200405_180142.jpg

You can freeze smoked brisket just as well as raw. Personally, I would trim the fat as usual (most likely you'll remove ~ 3-4 lbs) and then smoke it whole Texas style 50/50 salt & pepper. Probably would run the smoker at 270-275º. Go ahead and put the meat on as the smoker begins to warm. It will pick up more smoke at colder temps. At the end, eat what you want and freeze meal portions. BTW we always make sure to freeze packages in the amount we use for making chili. Smoked brisket chilli is wonderful.
We took your advice the wife made chilli out of the leftovers. I made a beer bread to go with it. Thanks that was great advice!
20200409_182317.jpg
20200409_193001.jpg
20200409_182027.jpg
20200409_193523.jpg

Reactions: texomakid
I have yet to do a brisket but a few observations. On the man fire food show with Mooking, he has visited many smokehouses and very few wrap after smoking and no one, unless it's edited out, put their briskets in a cooler. These are busy smokers who do hundreds of pounds at a time-can you say Texas? Looks like they just smoke for 12 hrs, and slice for customers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky